cleaning fretboard with murphys oil soap?

pirata

• Members

I'm in the exact same situation. I read the instructions and it said it was only safe for finished wood so I decided against it. Wait to clean your guitar, spend a penny and do it the proper way

• Members

Get some 0000 steel wool and take the neck off or cover the body with the common checkout plastic bag. Or get the synthetic equivelant of sw.Then treat the board with some sort of fb treatment.

• Members

Its done! I used a slightly damp cloth and that worked, I just got it kinda damp and then buffed it with a sock.

Well done. That way usually works just fine. It takes some time, but it's satisfying work. i think this is one of the areas of guitar maintenance that most people on here make way too big of a deal out of. it really isn't that complicated, nor do we need special tools or cleaning products to do a good job.

• Members

Well done. That way usually works just fine. It takes some time, but it's satisfying work. i think this is one of the areas of guitar maintenance that most people on here make way too big of a deal out of. it really isn't that complicated, nor do we need special tools or cleaning products to do a good job.

:thu:

• Members

it really isn't that complicated, nor do we need special tools or cleaning products to do a good job.

Actually, sometimes you need them. But you're right, it's not complicated.

Even if you don't need them, they can make the process easier.

And depending on your objective you may choose different products.

I recently spend over an hour cleaning a guitar, using steel wool, Formby's Deep Cleaning Build-Up Remover, and a fingerboard oil. My goal was to remove grime and rust.

Other times I use a cloth and Gerlitz guitar honey, and only spend a minute or two. My goal was to clean and condition the fingerboard.

And most of the time I don't need these products, but it's good to have choices and it's great that people here and elsewhere have shared their tips and experiences. :)

• Members

Actually, sometimes you need them. But you're right, it's not complicated.

Even if you don't
need
them, they can make the process easier.

And depending on your objective you may choose different products.

I recently spend over an hour cleaning a guitar, using steel wool, Formby's Deep Cleaning Build-Up Remover, and a fingerboard oil. My goal was to remove grime and rust.

Other times I use a cloth and Gerlitz guitar honey, and only spend a minute or two. My goal was to clean and condition the fingerboard.

And most of the time I don't need these products, but it's good to have choices and it's great that people here and elsewhere have shared their tips and experiences.
:)

Right on. There are definitely times I need to break out the big guns and get a little more aggressive when cleaning up an instrument. But, for most cleanings that are casually done during a string change, a touch up with a damp rag is enough.

• Members

To clean a nasty rosewood board, you will need:

A soft bristled tooth brush

Naphtha - Lighter Fluid

Woodwind bore oil

A soft cloth or rag

Apply a moderate amount of lighter fluid to the tooth brush and brush the gunk off the board - it will not hurt your finish. Use a pick to scrape offt prehistoric gunk.

Apply a drop of bore oil between every fret, rub it in - this rehydrates your board. Gently rub the drops into the wood, let it soak for a minute or two.

Wipe off the excess oil if there is any, lube the nut, restring, set it up, and rock out!

Presto! :)

Do Not Use Murphy's Oil Soap!..........................definitely not formulated for guitar fret boards.

• Members

I have been told by gibson authorized repairmen that murphys is safe on ebony. Not sure about mahogany.

I don't know about that. I do know that my previously posted method is sound and safe. I'll leave the Murphy's to wall paneling and furniture - I'll go with what I know as safe for my fretboards.

• Members

when I did my scallop job on the rosewood fretboard of my Strat I used Murphy's Oil Soap and a stiff nylon bristled brush to clean it really good about 2-3 times during the process... worked great. That's been several years ago and still rocking that guitar.

For normal cleaning, I use Formby's Lemon Oil(about $4 at WalMart) and a cotton t-shirt.

Archived