Jump to content

Tell me about DeArmond guitars


AcheWater
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

I've still got six DeArmond's, and I think they're one of the best built guitars for the money. I picked five of them up when GC was dumping them for the $250 range...

 

-S-65, bolt-on SG copy, vintage white

-S-73, set neck, SG copy, Crismson Red Trans

-M-70, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, trans green

-M-72, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, quilted trans red

-M-75, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, moon blue

-M-77T, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, Tennessee Orange w/ white 2K p/u's.

 

:thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

One day I will own an M-77T

 

Hey, how you liking the Washburn HB30? Still rocking out with it?

 

The Warmoth strat that I got from you has morphed into a Fender strat. :D

 

I now have an Epi Casino to scratch my semi/full-hollow guitar itch.

 

-------------------

 

Sorry to miller the thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Sorry to miller the thread.

What, you didn't bond with that full mother of pearl look? If you sold the body something tells me we will eventually see it again reincarnated - there can be only one like it.

 

strat3.jpg

 

The Washburn isn't getting a lot of play which surprises me as I do really like it. Too many other distractions I guess, a new amp and working on several acoustic projects in between being self employed at my peak season. Congrats on the Casino - also on my list!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've still got six DeArmond's, and I think they're one of the best built guitars for the money. I picked five of them up when GC was dumping them for the $250 range...


-S-65, bolt-on SG copy, vintage white

-S-73, set neck, SG copy, Crismson Red Trans

-M-70, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, trans green

-M-72, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, quilted trans red

-M-75, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, moon blue

-M-77T, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, Tennessee Orange w/ white 2K p/u's.


:thu:

 

I have/had:

 

M-70, trans green (sold)

M-77-T champagne sparkle

X-135 sunburst

X-145 natural

X-155 sunburst (traded)

Starfire sunburst

 

:wave:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've had a bunch of them. I just picked up my 3rd M-75 last week off of Craigslist for $250 with the hard to find Dearmond HSC.

 

I've also had two S-73's and one X-155 jazz box. I just have the one M-75 now that I got last week.

 

They are good guitars, unique pick-ups that I like. The Goldtones did not work well in the X-155 jazz box though, too bright and middy I found. Couldn't get the warm jazz tone no matter what I did with the amp or tone controls on the guitar.

 

One thing I have found is that the earlier Dearmonds have a shorter, fatter headstock with "Guild" and a G emblem embossed on the truss rod cover. These necks seem a bit thinner and not as chunky as the later slightly longer headstock that had no "Guild" or G emblem, it's just black plastic.

 

Being as I like a bigger neck, I prefer these later Dearmonds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Those Goldtone pups are nice but super vintage sounding and not hot at all. Not great for modern hard rock. I almost picked up an M-75 a while back that had them. Used, the 75s and 77s are going between $300 and $400, from recent examples I've seen. A little steep but they are well built and have the good pups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

greetings to the forum -- looking up some info on the DeArmond p/ups and I found this thread. att'd is my soon to be purchased M70 with 2k's. it was a special order for the custom shop & apparently was returned. it's a lot more than what you all paid for the korean DeArmond/Guilds (around $1500), but it sounds ripping thru my hiwatt.

 

- Sean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 years later...
  • Members
On 5/19/2008 at 4:34 PM, jerry_picker said:

 

I've still got six DeArmond's, and I think they're one of the best built guitars for the money. I picked five of them up when GC was dumping them for the $250 range...
 
-S-65, bolt-on SG copy, vintage white
 
-S-73, set neck, SG copy, Crismson Red Trans
 
-M-70, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, trans green
 
-M-72, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, quilted trans red
 
-M-75, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, moon blue
 
-M-77T, set neck, Bluesbird/LP-type body, Tennessee Orange w/ white 2K p/u's.


:thu:

 

 

I have/had:

 

M-70, trans green (sold)

M-77-T champagne sparkle

X-135 sunburst

X-145 natural

X-155 sunburst (traded)

Starfire sunburst

 

:wave:

I see your name in many of these DeArmond guitar threads.  Several years ago I bought a M65 and ended up giving it to my son. Tonight I purchased a M79 because I want the DeArnond pickups... mainly for the name because I am a DeArmond.  I don't play but my son & step sons do as well as my husband who also plays bass.  I see this is a really old thread but if your still out there what can you tell me as far as quality on the M70. It was advertised in excellent condition. Mahogany body. It looks sweet & I can't wait to get my hands on it. I paid a total of $289. It's worth it to me.  What do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dearmond63 said:

I see your name in many of these DeArmond guitar threads.  Several years ago I bought a M65 and ended up giving it to my son. Tonight I purchased a M79 because I want the DeArnond pickups... mainly for the name because I am a DeArmond.  I don't play but my son & step sons do as well as my husband who also plays bass.  I see this is a really old thread but if your still out there what can you tell me as far as quality on the M70. It was advertised in excellent condition. Mahogany body. It looks sweet & I can't wait to get my hands on it. I paid a total of $289. It's worth it to me.  What do you think?

 

You probably won't get a reply from the poster you're asking the questions of since the thread is so old, but hopefully a few others will chime in with their opinions. 

First of all, I'm going to assume your "M79" was a typo, and that you meant M70 like you said later in your post. 

The M70 is a pretty decent, yet fairly "affordable" electric guitar model. They listed for something like $650 or so when new, but usually sold for less - I'm going to say $450 or so in the larger discount stores. I'm not sure what they typically sell for now, but you can do a search of completed auctions on Ebay or Reverb.com to get an idea of their typical used prices. Regardless of the going rates for them, for under $300, I think it would be a good purchase as long as it was in good to excellent condition as advertised. They were made in Korea and only for a year or two if I recall correctly (circa 2000), and have American-made DeArmond Gold Tone humbucking pickups, which are pretty highly regarded and IMO sound really good. One of my studio clients had one, so I had the chance to play it a bit and hear / record it a lot, and I thought it was a nice guitar, especially at the price point. They're a bit bigger than a Les Paul in the body, so cases that can hold them can be tricky to find and they tend to be fairly heavy. I believe the bodies on the M70's are solid, and not chambered like some of the higher-end DeArmonds from the same basic era, and I think they're made from mahogany, as you said. They have flat (as opposed to arched) tops, and no maple cap like you'd find on a Les Paul. The fretboards are rosewood, and if I recall correctly the tuners are no-name Grover clones. They have 22 frets. I've seen them in black, red, and also green... I don't know if there were any other colors that they were offered in. 

Hope this helps - welcome to Harmony Central! :welcome:

 

PS I'd love to see a picture of your guitar when you get it if you'd like to post one...  :idea:  🙂 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

 

You probably won't get a reply from the poster you're asking the questions of since the thread is so old, but hopefully a few others will chime in with their opinions. 

First of all, I'm going to assume your "M79" was a typo, and that you meant M70 like you said later in your post. 

The M70 is a pretty decent, yet fairly "affordable" electric guitar model. They listed for something like $650 or so when new, but usually sold for less - I'm going to say $450 or so in the larger discount stores. I'm not sure what they typically sell for now, but you can do a search of completed auctions on Ebay or Reverb.com to get an idea of their typical used prices. Regardless of the going rates for them, for under $300, I think it would be a good purchase as long as it was in good to excellent condition as advertised. They were made in Korea and only for a year or two if I recall correctly (circa 2000), and have American-made DeArmond Gold Tone humbucking pickups, which are pretty highly regarded and IMO sound really good. One of my studio clients had one, so I had the chance to play it a bit and hear / record it a lot, and I thought it was a nice guitar, especially at the price point. They're a bit bigger than a Les Paul in the body, so cases that can hold them can be tricky to find and they tend to be fairly heavy. I believe the bodies on the M70's are solid, and not chambered like some of the higher-end DeArmonds from the same basic era, and I think they're made from mahogany, as you said. They have flat (as opposed to arched) tops, and no maple cap like you'd find on a Les Paul. The fretboards are rosewood, and if I recall correctly the tuners are no-name Grover clones. They have 22 frets. I've seen them in black, red, and also green... I don't know if there were any other colors that they were offered in. 

Hope this helps - welcome to Harmony Central! :welcome:

 

PS I'd love to see a picture of your guitar when you get it if you'd like to post one...  :idea:  🙂 

 

Thanks for the helpful reply and for the welcome.  Yes that was a typo. Here are some of the pics that were in the listing. 

 

Screenshot_20200224-154631_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200224-154810_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200224-154728_eBay.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Nice guitars! You can still find them for bargain prices too. Also at the end of their run Fender rebranded the left over bodies under the Squier name and sold them with Duncan Designed pickups instead of DeArmonds. I used to own these 2.

 

057.jpg

Edited by fuzztone
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dearmond63 said:

Thanks for the helpful reply and for the welcome.  Yes that was a typo. Here are some of the pics that were in the listing. 

 

Screenshot_20200224-154631_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200224-154810_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200224-154728_eBay.jpg

 

Thanks! That looks like it's in pretty good shape. How soon are you supposed to get it? 

When you do, let your family try it out and please let us know what everyone thinks of it. Again, I always thought those were really good guitars for the money, and it sounds like you got a good deal on yours. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
33 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

 

Thanks! That looks like it's in pretty good shape. How soon are you supposed to get it? 

When you do, let your family try it out and please let us know what everyone thinks of it. Again, I always thought those were really good guitars for the money, and it sounds like you got a good deal on yours. 

 

I'm not sure when I'll get it I ordered it from eBay, same place, different seller I ordered my M65 from. I will definitely let you all know what we think and post better photos.  Hopefully next week! Thanks for your reply.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, fuzztone said:

Nice guitars! You can still find them for bargain prices too. Also at the end of their run Fender rebranded the left over bodies under the Squier name and sold them with Duncan Designed pickups instead of DeArmonds. I used to own these 2.

 

057.jpg

Nice! I have a feeling these are going to b like getting a tattoo...get one, you want more. Lol thanks for sharing the pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...