Tell me about DeArmond guitars

AcheWater

• Members

I have a DeArmond guitar that was given to me by a friend in trade for paying his electric bill. Its been sitting in his closet for the last 5-6 years untouched. He bought it on a whim and never really got into guitar.

It is shaped much like a Les Paul, is a vintage sunburst color, has HH with DeArmond USA written on each, 4 knobs with D on them, DeArmond on the headstock, and a funky tremelo in a hollowed out D shape.

He said it cost him about $700-$800 new around 2000.

What have i got here?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it did, he got hosed! Korean made guild copy cranked out after Fender bought up Guild. Really not in the same class as Guild, DeArmond were fairly inexpensive new. Pickups are valued and worth saving.

• Members

If it did, he got hosed! Korean made guild copy cranked out after Fender bought up Guild. Really not in the same class as Guild, DeArmond were fairly inexpensive new. Pickups are valued and worth saving.

how much are the pups worth?

• Members

DeArmond's were on the market before the Fender takeover. I had a Starfire that was quite nice; I got it on closeout from Sam Ash for $300. I sold it after I bought my Gibson ES335 for $350. Nice pickups (DeArmond humbuckers), cheap pots and wiring. Three piece necks where they splice on the headstock and heel--I hate those.

Great guitars, and they were around $600--7000 for awhile.

• Members

If the pickups are the gold screen center ones, they are wanted for that retro sound. Check Flea-Bay for the current insane prices.

Yeah they have what looks like chrome with two gold strips. Kinda devides the pup into thirds gold-chrome-gold, with DeArmond USA written on each.

• Members

Every time I pick up my (pre-Fender) m75 I am always impressed all over again. Extremely solid guitar that frankly plays like a dream and has a totally unique and very desirable sound. It's been flawless going on 10 years now so the 'cheap pots' comment doesn't apply here. I paid around $450 w/case back in the day and did my share of cringing when the closeouts were going on. But now I think maybe those closeouts were lesser quality. Mine's staying right here with me.

• Members

All DeArmond guitars are Fender (FMIC) products!

Fender acquired Guild in 1995. Fender owned the DeArmond name (which had been Rowe-DeArmond back in the day when R-D made pickups and volume pedals, but NOT guitars). In 1997-98, FMIC launched an extensive line of high quality import guitars based on venerable old Guild models: the Bluesbird, Manhattan, Starfire, etc., and badged them with the DeArmond name on the headstock and the Guild name on the truss cover. The price points on the better DeArmonds, which had set-necks and USA-made pickups, were relatively high, getting into territory where one might buy a used Westbury-era pre-Fender Guild, and for considerably more than other import lines (Gibson's Epiphones). As a result, many believe, DeArmonds were not great sellers in spite of Guitar Player mag's "guitar of the year" accolades. When the line was discontinued, big box sellers like MF blew them out at sub-wholesale prices ($200-250 for top of the line axes). People on this forum were all over them.

http://www.intersilo.com/fender.asp

• Members

All DeArmond
guitars
are Fender (FMIC) products!

Fender acquired Guild in 1995. Fender owned the DeArmond name (which had been Rowe-DeArmond back in the day when R-D made pickups and volume pedals, but NOT guitars). In 1997-98, FMIC launched an extensive line of high quality import guitars based on venerable old Guild models: the Bluesbird, Manhattan, Starfire, etc., and badged them with the DeArmond name on the headstock and the Guild name on the truss cover. The price points on the better DeArmonds, which had set-necks and USA-made pickups, were relatively high, getting into territory where one might buy a used Westbury-era pre-Fender Guild, and for considerably more than other import lines (Gibson's Epiphones) were selling new. As a result, many believe, DeArmonds were not great sellers in spite of Guitar Player mag's "guitar of the year" accolades. When the line was discontinued, big box sellers like MF blew them out at sub-wholesale prices ($200-250 for top of the line axes). People on this forum were all over them.

http://www.intersilo.com/fender.asp

pretty much what he said :)

also in regards to the worth of the pickups, usually only fetch around what you'd normally pay for any ordinary set of pickups. Their worth is in the sound quality, they're fantasic pickups, and very desirable. I remember reading a great quote saying they're, "the studio musicians best kept secret" :)

• Members

looking at some pics online it appears to be an M-75, maybe?

Yes, could be an M-72, M-75, or M-77. M-72 has a flattop, iirc M-75 and M-77 are archtop. M-75 has a harp tailpiece, M-72 a stoptail, not sure about the M-77.

In good condition in the $300-$400 USD range. I sold my M-72 late last year for $300 w/hsc.

• Members

All DeArmond
guitars
are Fender (FMIC) products!

Fender acquired Guild in 1995. Fender owned the DeArmond name (which had been Rowe-DeArmond back in the day when R-D made pickups and volume pedals, but NOT guitars). In 1997-98, FMIC launched an extensive line of high quality import guitars based on venerable old Guild models: the Bluesbird, Manhattan, Starfire, etc., and badged them with the DeArmond name on the headstock and the Guild name on the truss cover. The price points on the better DeArmonds, which had set-necks and USA-made pickups, were relatively high, getting into territory where one might buy a used Westbury-era pre-Fender Guild, and for considerably more than other import lines (Gibson's Epiphones) were selling new. As a result, many believe, DeArmonds were not great sellers in spite of Guitar Player mag's "guitar of the year" accolades. When the line was discontinued, big box sellers like MF blew them out at sub-wholesale prices ($200-250 for top of the line axes). People on this forum were all over them.

Thanks Jerry, beat me to it on the "pre-Fender" thing. I see it all the time and have yet to figure out why some people think some DeArmond guitars are not FMIC products. They all are.

Like several here, I owned a few. I got one Jet Star form the Musician's Friend blowout, then another from VH1's "Save The Music" specifically to flip, and traded it for an M-75 locally. I also had an M-72, which I preferred to the M-75 because of the lighter weight of the M-72 and the stoptail (as opposed to the M-75's harp tailpiece), so I sold the M-75 to a bandmate. After getting a couple Gibby LP's I sold my very nice M-72 as redundant, but will always keep ahold of my Jet Star.

• Members

I had a M-77T for a little while.

th_CIMG5117.jpg

I picked it up used for $125 and flipped it three months later for $480 to help fund my Vox amp purchase.

The pickups were nice and the Bigsby was neat to fool around with but the money I could get for selling it outweighed my attraction for the guitar.

In other words, I'm glad I have my Vox amp and don't regret not having the DeArmond.

• Members

I had a M-77T for a little while.

th_CIMG5117.jpg

I picked it up used for $125 and flipped it three months later for $480 to help fund my Vox amp purchase.

The pickups were nice and the Bigsby was neat to fool around with but the money I could get for selling it outweighed my attraction for the guitar.

Just for accuracy's sake to the OP-- this guitar above has DeArmond singlecoils, not the Gold Tone humbuckers you have described as being on yours in the OP. The "T" models (for tremelo) of the M-series guitars used single coils, the non-Bigsby models used Gold Tone humbuckers.

Archived