emg 81's vs HZ's

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I always found it odd that Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom uses an EMG-HZ in his $3,500 signature ESP. He actually uses this pickup, no idea why. I'd like to ask him someday. 81 will sound more powerful and alive compared to the HZ.

he uses em because EMG paid him $$$. Im gonna guess they needed somebody to showcase the HZs in order to boost their sales.

Conceptually you could get an HZ4 to sound identical (if not a lot better) to an EMG81, considering that its tone is very similar to an 81 to begin with. The difference being that it does not have the pre-amp built in. However, if you are say the type who is running some massive rackmount system which has all sorts of stuff effecting the dynamics of your tone (super duper graphic EQ, compressors, noise gates etc etc) the pre-amp effect of an active pickup becomes a little superfulous.

On the other hand, if you are like me and wanna just plug your guitar in and play, then actives are the way to go!

So to answer the question, yes it will make a big difference. The guitarist in my band replaced her HZ4s with a 81/85 combo and its a wonderful difference.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

HZ prolly stands for Hi-Z, meaning high impedance. Passive pickups are high impedance, so there you go. The EMG-HZ's are definitely passive, but there are a number of active basses that use them, including some Spectors. This is done by putting a preamp in the control cavity, thereby making the bass "active". The pups are still passive, though.

Archived