Tube amp pops when shut off..... (warning long topic)

BASSDAD

• Members

....I know it's not the Amp forum but they'd just kill me..:mad:

I'm new to tube amps. I bought his and changed the tubes. That's about it. It sounds good when playing but there's issues.

So anyway it pops when i shut it off. I left it on for a few hours to listen for other issues. Ocassionsal cracle every 1/2 hour or so. Fair amount of back ground whoosh when nothing is plugged in or when guitar volume is off. It goes away when you play dirty or clean. It popped louder than ever when I shut it down after a few hours on. I also had the pre and post dimed but no signal.

I think V-1 mis microfonic. It feedsbak bad with the pre dimed and boost on.

The post is at 1.5 and I get feedback. V-1 also rings like a bell if I tap it with an incense stick. All the other other tubes have a faint thud when tapped. Probably the reverb picking stuff up. V-1 definately rings.

Oh yeah it's a Peavey Delta Blues. They do not come with a standby.

The tubes are JJ's normal clean/high gain lead channel set and have less than 10 hours on them.

So The pop and the whoosh. 2 problems or one?

Suggestions. (I'm sure I 've done at least 1 thing wrong:eek:)

• Members

Turn the volume and gain all the way down before flipping the switch.

That's it?

Is some background noise normal if it goes away when you play?

Are you sure I don't need a Fender? :lol:

Hell I'll take a Fender too but I'll nver give this thing up. They sound great.

Better than a Deville not as good as a Twin. IMHOOC

• Members

I had the same thing with my vox and the standby switch. Took it into the shop, was given a clean, new standby switch. The tech also said that on ac30's the standby switch isnt really that useful cos of the type of rectifier. So when powering off, just turn off the amp, and not the standby. Then flick off the standby later.

I think its also similar with little amps like blues jr's that dont even have a standby switch.

There is a previous thread on this but i cant seem to find it. Found it not long ago when i searched for 'ac30'

• Members

That's it?

Is some background noise normal if it goes away when you play?

Are you sure I don't need a Fender?
:lol:

Hell I'll take a Fender too but I'll nver give this thing up. They sound great.

Better than a Deville not as good as a Twin. IMHOOC

I got news for you. My Fender DRRI pops too when I shut it down. It also has a background humming when idle.

Most amps do that.

• Members

I had the same thing with my vox and the standby switch. Took it into the shop, was given a clean, new standby switch. The tech also said that on ac30's the standby switch isnt really that useful cos of the type of rectifier. So when powering off, just turn off the amp, and not the standby. Then flick off the standby later.

I think its also similar with little amps like blues jr's that dont even have a standby switch.

There is a previous thread on this but i cant seem to find it. Found it not long ago when i searched for 'ac30'

Hmm. I'll try the Doc's idea tomorrow . If That doesn't work I'll have someone check out the ON/OFF switch like you said.

No standby on the Peavey Classic series.......:eek:

• Members

I got news for you. My Fender DRRI pops too when I shut it down. It also has a background humming when idle.

Most amps do that.

OK. Now tha's what I need to hear folks:thu:

Like I said this is my first all tube amp.

Now do I get a Kustom Defender or a Blackheart for the higher gain sound????

• Members

Background hum for a tube amp is perfectly normal, especially if you were running it flat out. Popping when you don't have a standby switch is normal too - try turning the volume/gain off before you switch it off. Always remember that tubes are not of this earth and are strange creatures.

• Members

It's the filter caps discharging probably. That is why some amps have standby switch. If you flip that one first, you get no pop. Although supposedly you should turn it off by flipping the on-off switch. Delta Blues smokes any new fender I played... (Only played the cheap ones, not the RI's)

• Members

the ringing when tapping on V1 has me curious, and could be the source of the feedback, but you've also got the gain dimed and a boost on, which adds more gain. swap V1 with V2 or V3 (if the tubes are the same type) and see if the feedback issue goes away. idle noise and popping when you shut them off are normal. the idle noise doesn't go away, you just can't hear it when you play is all.

• Members

My Orange OR120 pops when it's turned off- like your amp there's no standby- normally i'll just put the gain to zero whenever i'm turning on and off (no master volume, i'd be putting that down also if i did though). there's still a little pop, but nothing big. I don't use the amp as much as the others praty because of this (also it's WAY too loud for my flat), but all i can advise it make sure your amp is serviced regularly so you can catch any possiblility of problems with their pants down :)

Archived