Sign in to follow this  
Stratman Tigers

Fat Old Sun has the most underrated solo in history.

Atom Heart Mother is Floyd's most underrated album, in general. I remember listening to it so, so many times during the summer between high school and college, when I was doing data entry in the rearmost cubicle in an otherwise empty office and had no internet access. :cry:

I think I might just buy a copy of it on vinyl when I get the chance.

WAYY back in 1973 or so I had my cassette recorder hooked up to the radio and I happened to press the record button just as the Floyd came on with their live at the BBC show. Got myself a fantastic version of Fat Old Sun that's accompanied me ever since.

Jeezus - probably my favorite tune for 35 years!!:eek::eek::eek:

Time flies.

David Gilmour still brings it on.

:wave:

Aside from Piper at the Gates, most of the pre-Darkside era Floyd is underrated IMO. Obscured by clouds, More, and Atom Heart Mother are all amazing

• Like 1

Yeah probably the best solo ever. What I find so amazing is that there are other older rockers who make a parody of their younger selves and act like fools. Dave unpretentious looks plain and from his fingers come the voice of god. It is on a tele too. OK more versions

Fat Old Sun is probably my favorite song, period. I've always loved Gilmour's playing, but when I heard that solo years ago, it floored me. Fantastic solo, brilliant in it's simplicity and emotion. The man has never played a bad note IMO.

Yeah probably the best solo ever. What I find so amazing is that there are other older rockers who make a parody of their younger selves and act like fools. Dave unpretentious looks plain and from his fingers come the voice of god. It is on a tele too. OK more versions
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tOKzAv6VBtM

Someone here a while back complained that he did not look like a rock star - more like a school teacher.:freak:

Teacher - teach me.

This is a great one for learning rhythm and singing also.

I agree about Fat Old Sun - it's terrific, and the solo is beautiful! I've never been a big fan of Atom Heart Mother though, and wasn't surprised to learn that Floyd didn't have much to do with most of the album - someone else wrote just about all of the orchestral parts.

From the Wikipedia article:

"At the time we felt Atom Heart Mother, like Ummagumma, was a step towards something or other. Now I think they were both just a blundering about in the dark."

- David Gilmour

"I think Atom Heart Mother was a good thing to have attempted, but I don't really think the attempt comes off that well,"

- David Gilmour

'I wouldn't dream of performing anything that embarrassed me. If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play Atom Heart Mother", I'd say: "You must be fucking joking...I'm not playing that rubbish!". 'Cos then I really would be embarrassed.'

- Roger Waters

When people think of David Gilmour, people think Time, or Comfortably Numb, but man, the Fat Old Sun solo is just simple, beautiful and grand.
:thu:

I kind of like the solo in "On the Turning Away" from The Division Bell.

Wow, I love that song sooo much. I've always liked Obscured by Clouds, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother albums the best. Have to admit, I've always liked "Summer 68" because I was born on the first day of summer 1968 :-) Plus, the Summer 68 jam segues into the Atom Heart Mother theme.. but gotta love Gilmour's vocals (and solo) in Fat Old Sun. I was so into Gilmour when I was playing professionally that I had a black strat and used to play with no shirt with my long hair covering my face just like DG in Pompei.

Check this out - Pink Floyd Montreux 1970 - Fat Old Sun Part 1 (Live)

Jeez, 1970, 38 years ago... I was only 2yo then. You think Waters and Gilmour ever ponder the complexities of the line in Time "And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"? I know I sure have especially after turning 40 this last week. Holy crap, been playing guitar for 31 years now...

I know he has played lots of guitars, but a tele just doesn't look right on DG.

Awesome solo. :thu:

I know he has played lots of guitars, but a tele just doesn't look right on DG.

Awesome solo.
:thu:

Oh, come now, it's still a Fender. it looks more natural than, say, that Duo Jet he's been using recently. Or even, *gasp*, that LP Goldtop he's used on occasion.

Still, DG will always be a Strat man. nothing else really works for him as well.

^And that's a damning sweet Strat.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2008 at 2:26 AM, Stratman Tigers said:

When people think of David Gilmour, people think Time, or Comfortably Numb, but man, the Fat Old Sun solo is just simple, beautiful and grand. :thu: