Gibson Epoch?

danhauk

• Members

I'm thinking about buying this to refinish: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/738536957.html

From what I could find with a few minutes of research online it's part of the Gibson-Baldwin education series they put out. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Since I'll be switching out the pups anyway (burstbuckers maybe), I don't really care about how the stock ones sound. Just need to know about playability, action, etc. The craftsmanship mostly.

Anyone? :poke:

• Members

Yeah I was thinking the same about the neck. I go either way with bolt on seeing as how they can be pretty shoddy.

But I have read that it's on the heavier side so that could add to the deep tone I would expect. I've also read that it's similar to a Special II. So if anyone has experience with those seeing as I don't that would be helpful.

I'll probably buy it in the end. It'll be nice to have a good little beater to work with. Just trying to get some other opinions on it.

• Members

I have one it's a total pos

body=heavy plywood

pups=junk

pots and wiring=cheap crap

quality and finish=sloppy bad

worth $50 I guess

Is it so bad that refinishing, rewiring, switching out pups would be a waste of time? I want it to at least sound decent when I'm done.

• Members

Get one of these from Rondo:

gg1sc2ts1.jpg

Remove neck, strip the body, round the horn, and refinish. Bolt the neck back on and proceed to rawk!

Wait, I wanna do that!

I'm not too big on one-pup guitars. Had an Epi Jr. for a while and it sat in the case more than it was played. Wasn't too impressed. SX better?

• Members

I would definitely go with one of the SX or Douglas guitars over the Epoch. I recommended that model cause you could take the neck off and just refinish the body. But there are other models you could go with and achieve good results.

Another strategy (one that I did with my refinish project) was to scan ebay for guitars until I found locally so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I picked up a Yamaha Pacifica project for under $30.

• Members

I would definitely go with one of the SX or Douglas guitars over the Epoch. I recommended that model cause you could take the neck off and just refinish the body. But there are other models you could go with and achieve good results.

Another strategy (one that I did with my refinish project) was to scan ebay for guitars until I found locally so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I picked up a Yamaha Pacifica project for under $30.

I picked up a Pacifica project a few months ago. Just the body and neck though, no electronics or hardware. Cost me $40 shipped with an unknown Tele body/neck too. Mainly wanted the Tele, which is what I'm working on now, but the guy threw in the Pacifica no extra charge because he wanted to get rid of it. Some day I might get around to that one. Not as into Strats though.

I'll look into Rondo when I get a little more dough on Friday for a good LP project. But if this thing is still there in a week or two I might just have to buy it to see how it is.

• Members

Is it so bad that refinishing, rewiring, switching out pups would be a waste of time? I want it to at least sound decent when I'm done.

you would be better off getting something new and playable out of the box from Rondo.the Epoch is best suited to be a dedicated slide guitar I wouldn't spend a lot of money or time trying to fix one up.I have a Douglas Shadow from Rondo and it's a pretty decent guitar for what it cost,much better than the Epoch. BTW Epoch is a flat top if that matters to you

• Members

It seems the consensus here is that it wouldn't be worth the trouble or $50. Perhaps I'll just save a little and check into Rondo. I actually prefer plain top LP style for some reason, but it doesn't look like the Douglas or SX are plain top. True?

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 7/1/2008 at 9:41 PM, vcnyls said:

Those things are the biggest pieces of {censored} of all time. Save yourself $50.

There must be something wrong somewhere I got my epoch guitar for 20€ in a charity shop it had a broken switch which I replaced  and did a set set up  it’s now my go to guitar if I don’t want guitars nicked in dogy places  the heads all laughed when they saw it but shut up when it came to solo time  much lighter and better than a les Paul that I hated  ,        however I’m a strat man and would only use a Humbucker fitted guitar for rhythm or certain songs  . god bless Leo Fender. And bop till you drop as ry cooder sez 🎸nov 2019 

• Members
1 hour ago, Matthew leech said:

There must be something wrong somewhere I got my epoch guitar for 20€ in a charity shop it had a broken switch which I replaced  and did a set set up  it’s now my go to guitar if I don’t want guitars nicked in dogy places  the heads all laughed when they saw it but shut up when it came to solo time  much lighter and better than a les Paul that I hated  ,        however I’m a strat man and would only use a Humbucker fitted guitar for rhythm or certain songs  . god bless Leo Fender. And bop till you drop as ry cooder sez 🎸nov 2019 

You are correct, there is something wrong here 

You are responding to a thread from 11 years ago 

But thanks for trying 

Archived