Dean Leslie West Standard

Spudro

• Members

Do yourself a favor. As soon as possible try one of these things out!

I'm speaking of the import (Korea) version! $699 just about everywhere, but I found one for $650.

guitarshopnet_2011_94360974

I'm really doing ya's a favor here. I gigged mine last night and was thoroughly blown away. The guitar does really good cleans which surprised me quite a bit. Of course the "not clean" tones are juicy and top notch.

Before "budgetary decisions" are made concerning the manufacture of this model, grab one of these first run beauties and try it out if at all possible. I took a leap of faith and purchased online because Dean is kind of known for being set up quite well right from the factory. This thing is waaaay good and well worth the $650 I spent.

This thing has got the goods. This is my first Dean btw. It could very well not be my last.

• Members

It used to be a Dimarzio Megadrive, iirc. But now it's a Dean pickup. So called "Mountain of Tone," or something like that.

that would be correct, they are hand winding pickups in tampa now. pat baker is in charge of the pickup shop. apparently the quality is really really really good.

• Members

The pickup... let me tell you about that.

I consider myself a single pickup guy and I adore P-90s. My pedal board and amp settings are what makes my single coil pickups sound best, because 85% of the time or more, the guitar I am playing is loaded with single(s).

I also totally dig guitars with one single pickup. An Esquire and a Telecaster are very different beasts because there is just something about not having additional pickups present that changes the tone of the guitar.

I was floored at how dynamic that stock pickup on the Leslie West Standard was last night. By dynamic, I mean detailed, able to hear picking nuances, a soft pick attack is quieter and a strong technique translates and contrasts well vs normal or soft picking. Also, I noticed a little 60 cycle hum from the pickup when I got close to the amp with the guitar held just right. That hum suggests to me that the Mountain of Tone pickup is wound with a dominant coil..,. meaning the two bobbins are deliberately wound unequally. That kind of meets in the middle of 'bucker and single coil.

That is really why I mentioned how good the clean tones are in the original post. The tone signature does leave a really big footprint, but it is not a bully in the mix and does have more transparency than I expected from a humbucker. It is a great pickup. Don't let the hype fool you into thinking it is nothing more than an overwound raunch pickup. It is a really impressive pickup and it fits what the guitar is perfectly. I can't imagine ever changing it.

This thing is a truly great instrument.

• Members

I haven't had gas in quite some time..thanks alot asshole.

I had a terrible, terrible case of gas for a Les Paul Jr at GC in Nashville. It is exceptionally sweet. For weeks now I have been weighing pros & cons, planning an amount to offer for a VOS tagged at $2299.99 which was reduced to $1999.99 for the July 4th "list sale".

I'm not thinking about that Jr now. Maybe I will again one day, but maybe not. The Leslie West Std does fill that niche very nicely at about 1/3 the price.

This is not an "almost" guitar. Not by a long shot.

Also note my emphasis on grabbing one of these originals before "budgetary decisions" manifest in something different on the guitar. I'm not accusing Dean Guitars of anything shady, but sometimes supplier or financial reality forces changes. Dean may never make a single change to this model and I hope they don't, but if you are seriously considering one, don't let it get away in this material configuration. This is IT! This thing works!

• Members

I vote for adding a P90/P94/H90/FatBastard, whatever you want to call 'em.

Regardless, gorgeous guitar!

Not saying that you are wrong, but I'd recommend giving the stock pickup a chance. It really is a very good pickup and not that much unlike a hot P-90. Somehow it has some single coil dynamic traits. It really is something special.

If anyone does replace the stock pickup, don't lose the original. In my opinion it is an absolutely perfect fit for this instrument, and I'm generally not a fan of humbuckers at all.

• Members

Well, I came back looking for this thread. I wanted to see this guitar again. I've been bitten. And the pickup description sounds like it will totally lend itself to my style. Next step is to arrange my finances and go looking for one to play. And this is the first signature model I've have EVER been interested in.

Archived