I HATE freakin' guitar cable spaghetti...

Tedster

• Members

Well... cables don't tend to get knotted as frequently (by themselves or with other cables) when both ends of the cables are in fixed positions.

And, as most gigging musicians know sooner rather than later, your cable coils will be a lot less trouble when you learn how to -- and take the trouble to -- coil the cable without twists.

I'm someone who, in certain (not entirely rare) moods, can fly into a blind rage of frustration that manifests in a Tourette's-like spew of colorful but compulsively repeated vulgarities... (I have, at this late point in life, found a way to divorce the get-things-done part of my brain from the compulsively-spewing vulgarities part of my brain and can actually proceed in a vaguely sensible path -- but it's not pretty.)

When I was gigging with my all-improv one man echo loop act, Frippenstein, I ended up with a rig that often had 70-80 cables -- many of them the particularly nasty, super small gauge wall-wart type low power cabling (because of all the modules and FX). I was able to keep a few things wired but it was overwhelmingly setup/tear down stuff.

So, the potential was there for nastiness on every gig., pretty bigtime.

Unwilling to have a scary and embarrassing tantrum in front of a bunch of people already fidgeting as set up invariably took the better part of an hour, I had to teach myself a sort of Tao of cable handling and management.

Of course, sometimes it's accompanied by a soto voce stream of polyhyphenated vulgaritities... but I've found my inner volume control.

;)

PS... I use a LOT of ties -- I prefer Velcro loops but I've also used a lot of those tooth-and-slot plastic ties they used to supply with high end garbage bags. They're not that great for garbage bags but the bright yellow ones are my favorite (next to the much more expensive Velcro loop -- but I don't use the commercially available "purposed" velcro loops... which can cost more than a dollar a pop. I go down to Home Depot and but a roll of the stuff. At the bottom of the cable tie hierarchy, is string -- which I've used in a few pinches. Just above that are plastic covered wire twist-ties. White preferred but most that come my way seem to be black.

• Members

I use a bunch of snakes for the back of my rack, and that helps too. But I've made an awkward transition from my really poor days when it was just a hodge-podge of cables to now. It's not horrible, but it could be so much better. I have tried to label everything, which really helps.

• Members

And I bet you do, too...

That's a safe bet Tedster! I hated it so much that I recently took my keyboard rig to a custom cable solution using multipin connectors. It consists of a custom cable harness that carries 13 connections (L - R Output channels, MIDI In, MIDI Out and Pedal connections for two keyboards) and connects via a multipin connector to a junction box on a pedal board. A second harness connects to the junction box via multipin connector and runs via a single cable to my rack to make the connections to my MIDI interface, amp and rack unit. It wires up in less than two minutes - and is clean as a whistle! No more spaghetti for me!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

There seems to be quite a lot of posts on this forum regarding cable management. I developed a product to deal with this. It's new and still in developement, but so far its worked out pretty well in all kinds of different cable management situations.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/sys/1090648597.html

If you have specific needs, I would love to hear them and am totally willing to adapt the product to the need.

• Members

My mother came to my apartment last month. And in the middle of our conversation, she suddenly gesticulated toward the mass of cable spaghetti attached to my computer.

She shrieked: "Son, I can't believe this is the way you LIVE!! This place, this tangle of cables, represents your mind, don't you see that??"

It was totally out of left field, I thought. But I had to consider: my cables look like total confusion to the innocent visitor to my apartment.... and yet, I'd spent many an hour getting those cables hooked up JUST SO.... exactly the way they needed to be.

They look like chaos... but actually, they keep my whole little audio world in perfect functioning....

• Members

My mother came to my apartment last month. And in the middle of our conversation, she suddenly gesticulated toward the mass of cable spaghetti attached to my computer.

She shrieked: "Son, I can't believe this is the way you LIVE!! This place, this tangle of cables, represents your mind, don't you see that??"

It was totally out of left field, I thought. But I had to consider: my cables look like total confusion to the innocent visitor to my apartment.... and yet, I'd spent many an hour getting those cables hooked up JUST SO.... exactly the way they needed to be.

They
look
like chaos... but actually, they keep my whole little audio world in perfect functioning....

so, she's got an iMac? :)

Archived