Ergonomics/comfort of the Explorer?

niceguy

• Members

OK, so I used to own an Explorer, years ago...but I stupidly sold it a few months later, for a Les Paul that I hated. The Les Paul has since gone, and I've been a Strat guy for the past couple of years.

But, I want an Explorer again. I forgot about the comfort level of the body shape...

When playing with a band, I get kinda into it and start hammering away when I strum. When I play at home, I sometimes drowse on the couch with my guitar and strum along while thinking of life.

The Strat is perfectly designed for comfort; how's the Explorer? Shame I can't remember....and, I never played in a band with it...

What I remember was how rich and warm the tone was, being a giant slab of mahogany:love:

• Members

Get one! I've found my Explorer to be very comfortable playing standing and surprisingly comfortable sitting down. I also like to sit on the couch and contemplate life/watch TV/drink a few drinks with a guitar in my lap and thought the left point would make that difficult... but it doesn't. And just to get your motor running, here's mine:

P1020903-1.jpg

If you can get your hands on one, this is the Guitar of the Week #43. Comes with the 57 pups which are way better IMO than the super hot pups the standard Explorer comes with (though depending on your style, those may work better for you) and I love having the vibrato option. :thu:

• Members

Well, I just pulled teh trigger on an Explorer off ebay...2006, cherry. I can't WAIT to get it!!

I remember loving the 500T, but my tastes might have changed...though I remember being able to elicit and control feedback very easily with it, which I love.

The neck pup will definitely be changed, likely to a HB-sized P90:thu:

• Members

Explorers are surprisingly comfortable -- I used to be mates with a guy who had one and, speaking as someone primarily Strat-oriented, I found it a lot comfier than his Les Paul. Sounded pretty nice, too.

And my Ibanez Destroyer DT-150, with its Explorer-derived bodyshape, alsao hangs pretty nicely. So that particular bodyshape ain't nearly as nutty as it looks.

• Members

I actually picked up an Explorer for the first time earlier this week.. My shop never has them in stock.

I couldn't believe what a nice guitar it was. And how comfortable it is sitting down. It immediately jumped onto my future gear purchases list.

• Members

My explorer is very comfortable, surprisingly. For those that don't like the neck shape, try to find a Gibson gothic. They're discontinued. The neck on mine is so perfect that if I ever have a guitar custom built, I'm giving them that neck as the template.

The ceramic pickups are hot and sound sweet through every amp I've ever tried.

Besides, the greatest thing about an explorer is that you get to do your best Hetfield impression. Cmon, you know you did it too!

Archived