I HATE my Kahler. HELP!!!

Tone Eee

• Members

I've had this G&L Skyhawk for a while now, but I don't play it mych due to the annoyingness of the infernal Kahler. Underneath is a little route I can imagine filling up and I'd maybe like to get a hardtail of some sort, but the hardware is in black and I don't know where to get black hardtails. Anyone ever de-kahlerize anything?

I know it is a factory install, but the feel of the trem, how it flats notes when I bend and the intricacy of adjusting the setup of the guitar is MADDENING!

• Members

i had a gibson les paul de-kahlered once~ the route was blocked and then the top was refinished. Touch-up work was done to the headstock where the locking nut was. You'd never know it had ever been gouged. I never much enjoyed locking trems (or any trem, for that matter).

• Members

Originally posted by GreatDane

i had a gibson les paul de-kahlered once~ the route was blocked and then the top was refinished. Touch-up work was done to the headstock where the locking nut was. You'd never know it had ever been gouged. I never much enjoyed locking trems (or any trem, for that matter).

Hey would'cha mind posting a pic of the les paul?

i've also removed my kahler & installed a TOM but not sure how to fill up the cavity....

• Members

Really??? Holy {censored} dude!! I had a guitar back in the late 80's that had a Kahler Pro on it....that trem was the best i have ever played!!!!!!.. No issues with string changes, stayed in tune like no other, and just rocked! it was as hassle free as a fixed bridge on Gibson..actually more hassle free...it didnt fall out if the strings were off.

Kahler must have really fkked up the desing of their newer trems if you are having problems..

Sad to hear!

• Members

I have a couple JB Players that are waiting for me to dekahlerize them...unless I find a proper fitting Kahler first. The shit that came stock was made of horrible soft metal.

I think I have seen a thread or two dealing with filling in trem cavities at ReRanch . I couldn't find it, but a member there could probably help out. I think you're better off sending that guitar to me.;)

• Members

Thanks for the replies!

Hey, the issue I have with the trem is where the adjustments are--right under the tautest part of the string when it is tuned up. When it is set up the thing is pretty great except for the floating aspect of it (which wang-bar enthusiasts would love, I'm sure).

I just changed string gauges and I'm freaking out trying to intonate the sucker. I hate having someone else have to work on my guitars, but I may have to take it in if it pisses me off any more.

I think I just need a beer.

• Members

Originally posted by Brewski

sounds like a nice guitar - I'd sell it on Ebay and get something else.

+1

Some people like those guitars, I put Sperzels and a graphite nut on mine and I was able to do away with the infernal looking nut:

GL.jpg

• Members

Hey Tone Eee,

Do you actually understand how to setup a Kahler tremolo? If so, why are you bad mouthing it then? What model is your Kahler tremolo, if you don't mind me asking? I own 2 Kahler tremolos, a Spyder and a Steeler (Floyd Rose fulcrum style) and they are one of the best made out there. My Steeler is actually a superior design to the Floyd Rose and they got sued by Floyd Rose because of it. Mine is called a "lawsuit bridge".

Here is some information that you might find useful:

http://www.kahlerusa.com/pictures/FAB%20Web%20Page.jpg

http://www.kahlerusa.com/home.html

click on "Kahler Care", click on "Maintainence, Setups and Adjustments"

Here are the owners manuals:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/downloads.htm

Kahler Technical support:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/Help%20Desk.htm

I hope you find my tidbit of information helpful.

Guitar George

• Members
Originally posted by Tone Eee

Thanks for the replies!

Hey, the issue I have with the trem is where the adjustments are--right under the tautest part of the string when it is tuned up. When it is set up the thing is pretty great except for the floating aspect of it (which wang-bar enthusiasts would love, I'm sure).

I just changed string gauges and I'm freaking out trying to intonate the sucker. I hate having someone else have to work on my guitars, but I may have to take it in if it pisses me off any more.

I think I just need a beer.

What type of Kahler is it? And if you don't play high up the neck you shouldn't have to worry about intonation that much.

• Members

The trem appears to be a 2300 series, and might have been put on by Leo Himself ;)

Hey guys, some of my favorite players (Kerry King, Adrian Belew, Paul Leary) are Kahler people. I got this guitar from an old buddy of mine as a gift, and he left in the original manual and bill of sale ($623 in 1990). I wouldn't badmouth the guitar--the build quality, tone and playability are amazing.

And the tremolo is likewise well made and installed correctly.

Thanks for the links. I think I have a better handle on the adjustments and the only thing I don't like is how the string length is adjusted. Maybe I'll stop my tirade and learn how to whammy it up. Most of my years have been with stop-tailpiece Gibsons and knockoffs, so it might be awhile.

• Members

Hey Tone EEE,

No problem. I'm glad to help a brother out. Kahler tremolos get a bad rap from a lot of people. Understanding how to use them, adjust and fine tune them allows you to get a grip on it when you're playing your guitar at a rehearsal or a show especially if you break a string.

Guitar George

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

Would you care to explain in more detail about your hate for Kahler? I once almost bought one, but couldn't get the guitar. I got a floyd, and I like that. I had just heard the Kahlers were actually easier to maintain and use than floyds, and they were a lot smoother.

They are smoother, but they dont stay in tune.

• Members

I had a Kahler once.

Two things I disliked about it

The height adjustment screw falls directly under the string. In the particular guitar I had, I couldn't drop the action of the high E low enough without getting buzzing from the string touching thing.

It sort of felt like it was in the way all the time and the tremolo action felt kind of light when compared to other tremolos I'd played.

• Members

I may be a bit late on this but if you are still having issues with the bridge, you can contact us directly. Guitar George has pointed you in the right direction. Some additional info: this unit is the original Kahler PRO that came as a stock option on the G&L's.

Either way, we can get you set up with the current bridge or help you figure out a way to convert it to a fixed bridge.

• Members

I have a Kahler spyder (this is actually a fl. rose type) it is by far the best trem I have ever used over the last 28 years of playing. I played speed/shred metal for years, beating the crap out of it and the thing is still perfect. Never owned a Kahler cam based trem, but if the arm action is too soft there was a "Heavy Arm Opiton" thicker arm and heavier springs which was offered and probably still is through Kahler. Also, there was an option available for the Spyder which attached somehow to the arm (from below) which would allow the player to lock the trem in place, creating essentially a fixed bridge. With the appropriate swing of the arm, the trem was freed up for use again. Not sure if anything similar was available for the cam types. Nonetheless, Kahler has always made a great item, unfortunately, in the 80's EVH endorsed F.R., and the only Kahler endorsees I remember form that time was Mick Mars (not a particularly prolific guitarist), and Paul Gilbert (obviously a heck of a player but not nearly as well known by the thousands of guitarists who think Stairway To Heaven is still the coolest song to play at your local music store). This made everyone think that F.R. was better. This was in fact the opposite of the truth. I am sure the guys at Kahler can help you out.

BTW any floating trem is going to cause loosening/flattening off the other strings when one is being bent "cant fight physics", it is an aspect of playing that must be dealt with if you want to be able to dive bomb until the strings flap in the breeze, and rip up on the trem till the strings snap. Believe me, it doesn't take much effort to accomodate. Look at guys like Vai who have a hard time finding the right note without touching the trem (not a dig- he is technically excellent) he obviously makes ammends for the detuning caused by string bending.

Last, I agree with what was said earlier, if you just don't want a trem, please dont destroy a guitar by ripping a great piece of hardware off of it, sell it to someone who will appreciate it and buy something else that you will appreciate.

Have fun

Archived