Recommend a Jazz Guitar?

Wulver

• Members

Now, granted, I already have a semi-hollow that could likely do jazz well, but just humor me on this.

I've discovered my school has a Jazz Band, alongside their marching band programs and such. Obviously not as high-key a group, as I only discovered it my senior year (now). I figure, if I were to join with this, I may have found myself an excuse to get an archtop jazz guitar. And/or have the parents get me one. ;)

So, theoretically speaking. Say I want myself an archtop. I'd really like something akin to the ES-175, due to it being the "definitive jazz guitar" and stuff. Plus, Steve Howe uses it.

however, price is more of a consideration than design. I really just need something that'll sound good for jazz, will be of good build quality, and resides under, say, $300. I'm perfectly fine with going used, and as vintage as need be.

What are my options?

• Members

in that price range..... hm i cant remember the model number off the top of my head but i do recall that washburn made a really nice archtop with a suspended mini by the neck around that price range. oh if you can spring a bit more i realize its not technically an archtop but i use my gretch 5120 for almost all my jazz gigs

• Members

use the semi and save the cash. $300 won't bring much in the way of improvement. with a little more cash you could score that gretsch, and epiphone makes several archtops that could handle it. neither would be that far out of your price range used.

love,
eor

• Members

yeah, that's the other issue.

this is sorta all theoretical at the moment, though, I've yet to get the specifics for it or anything.

This thread does serve another purpose, though. I envision myself getting an archtop at some point in the future (plans feature a jazzbox, my p90 semi-hollow, and some sort of Fender-ish sounding solidbody), and I figure I may as well start looking up on some of my options.

If it helps, extend used price to, say $500. show me some good stuff.

• Members

harsh, yet probably true....

One thing I'm curious of, is the Epiphone Zephyr. this guy here: http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-ZEPHYR-REGENT-VS-ARCHTOP-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320291980318QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It should be going for relatively cheap, as the Epiphone ES-175 pretty much made it obsolete. heck, this auction here isn't too bad for price. I was just expecting lower than this.

Still, it's classy, I wouldn't mind having one.

• Members

Well, I own the Aria Pro II Herb Ellis model (PE-175, circa 1980), which I consider at least as good as the Gibson. Sometimes these come up for sale, and they are MUCH better than the Epiphone Zephyr Regent. Unfortunately, even used they're beyond your price range - maybe $1000 if you're lucky. Ibanez makes an affordable Pat Metheny model, which also can be found used. And there's the bargain basement special for the dedicated bottom-feeder.

But I notice that shops that specialize in archtops have very few available for under $3,000. I'd say, stick with the semi-hollow.

• Members

use the semi and save the cash. $300 won't bring much in the way of improvement. with a little more cash you could score that gretsch, and epiphone makes several archtops that could handle it. neither would be that far out of your price range used.

love,

eor

Agree 100%

Epiphone has several cheap-ish models

• Members

For what its worth, I don't think you can beat the Ibanez full-hollow body Artcores. The AF, AG and AK models look good and are reasonably priced.

http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/default.aspx

They're great guitars and fantastic quality for the price. Your $300 might be a little low, but probably not by much if you shoot for something like (say) the AF75. Dig around on eBay, Craig's list, or go haunt your local guitar store looking for close-out deals on last year's gear.

CC

• Members

You be careful with the lower end Jazz Boxes, they see us rock players coming a mile off for the purchase!
Some of the budget JB's are almost unplayable. You don't wanna spend the same amount trying to upgrade the hardware to make it the real deal.

A few here that might be of interest. :thu:

Washburn J5TS
washburnj5tsoy0.jpg

Ibanez AF105
af105bodylo1.jpg

Best I found was the Ibanez AF75 for the $$$
af75xm7.jpg

Archived