Is this CAPO really worth the money?

steve_man

• Members

I still think it would make more sense to learn how to play chord forms up the neck.

Yeah, well -- that certainly takes into account folks who use chord forms up the neck in the context of licks and songs that utilise open strings. By the way, instead of using electric guitars I think it would make a lot more sense to learn to play your acoustic guitar louder.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I still think it would make more sense to learn how to play chord forms up the neck.

i used to think like this, too. i know so many chords and forms and inversions for 7ths/9ths/11ths/13ths and polychords. (yeah...jazz guitarist.) THe capo is a HUGELY beneficial tool and although for some beginners, it's a substitute for learning the inversions and root forms all the way up the neck, it shouldn't be discounted like that. there really is a huge tonal benefit to being able to finger open-string forms off of the 9th fret.....especially in the studio and you want the chord to ring through the mix better.

just my .02 :)

g

• Members

I actually just bought one and am trying it out for the first time -

At first I wasn't that impressed. It seemed a little odd getting it on and off and there wasn't a whole lot of tension on the low E - Then I realised that I have always used my Shubb with the business end on the other side - I flipped the G7 over and - bip - I can see why people like them. Easy on - easy off and there seems to be a really nice uniform tension across the strings (and the guit stays in tune pretty well) -

Interesting piece of engineering.

I've always placed my Shubb on the other side - That's just how I used it (and I am really used to it that way). I paid $40 for the G7 and I think right now that it's worth it.

Who would've known?

• Members

I actually just bought one and am trying it out for the first time -

At first I wasn't that impressed. It seemed a little odd getting it on and off and there wasn't a whole lot of tension on the low E - Then I realised that I have always used my Shubb with the business end on the other side - I flipped the G7 over and - bip - I can see why people like them. Easy on - easy off and there seems to be a really nice uniform tension across the strings (and the guit stays in tune pretty well) -

Interesting piece of engineering.

I've always placed my Shubb on the other side - That's just how I used it (and I am really used to it that way). I paid $40 for the G7 and I think right now that it's worth it.

Who would've known?

yes...the G7 is worth EVERY PENNY. if you are a working pro, and you use capo more than once or twice a night -- this thing is WORTH THE DAMN MONEY.

sure, use a kyser or shubb if you are an occasional capo user. they both work fine.

i also very much like the bird of paradise capos, and endorsed them years ago.

but the G7 is in a class of its own....

• Members

Just gave it a thorough testing -- works great. I jut got sick of showing up at jams, borrowing an acoustic, slapping the Shubb onto it, getting clunks and pings and having to borrow another capo ...

This is the slickest and most efficient capo I've ever used -- and it doesnt look like a coat-hook.

Endorsed.

Man, thanks for letting us know what you think. Your opinion carries a lot of weight around here!

Could you, or someone post a pic of what they look like open, and on the guitar? There are no shops around here that carry them, so I'll just have to order one. Thanks!

• Members

Man, thanks for letting us know what you think. Your opinion carries a lot of weight around here!

Could you, or someone post a pic of what they look like open, and on the guitar? There are no shops around here that carry them, so I'll just have to order one. Thanks!

They don't 'open' in the conventional sense: the way they look in the promo pics is the way they look, period. They slip over the guitar neck and then you just squeeze it to tighten it up, and flip the little levery thing to loosen it again. I've now gigged it -- at an open-air gig in Cornwall -- and it is DEFINITELY the most usable, reliable, adaptable-to-any-guitar and intuitive capo I've ever had. I'm gonna get another to use as a spare, and I plan to carry one everywhere -- along with a slide and a pocketful of picks.

• Members

but the G7 is in a class of its own....

I played around with it all night last night (my AmS Tele, JM, and my acoustic) and I'm sold. The Kyser is still the easiest capo to get on and off (move around), but I've always had probs keeping stuff in tune with one (and ditched it a long time ago for a Shubb).

The G7 (th?) - allows gives you full control over the pressure on the strings - Useful for changing from lighter to heavier strings (electric to acoustic esp.).

I highly recommend it. A $5 capo will still do the trick - especially if yr only using 1 guit. For multiple changes/guitars, I think that the G7 is the way to go.

Fin.

• Members

They don't 'open' in the conventional sense: the way they look in the promo pics is the way they look, period. They slip over the guitar neck and then you just squeeze it to tighten it up, and flip the little levery thing to loosen it again. I've now gigged it -- at an open-air gig in Cornwall -- and it is DEFINITELY the most usable, reliable, adaptable-to-any-guitar and intuitive capo I've ever had. I'm gonna get another to use as a spare, and I plan to carry one everywhere -- along with a slide and a pocketful of picks.

and THERE you have it, folks.

the answer is #42.

I mean, the answer is YES YES YES YES!!!!

the best, most consistent, easiest to use capo out there.

• Members

Oh, okay! That's pretty cool. I just wondered how easy it would be to handle with one hand. Sounds pretty easy!

I'll be getting one soon!

Archived