Sign in to follow this  
jrockbridge

Review of Lexicon MX200 Rack Reverb

lexiconrackreverb.jpg

I bought this unit as an S&D piece from MF for $147 delivered. I read that it has some issues with noise/hum. The MX200 does exhibit some noise/hum. If you want to know more about this issue, read the bold paragraph below. I was able to almost completely eliminated any noise by putting the MX200 on a piece of foam in my basement studio....It works, I'm being cheap, so I'm keeping it! ;)

I'm using the MX200 right after the guitar amp and mic to add reverb and delay to the sound. I use a little IMP device to plug the mic right into the MX200.

The reverbs are pretty good. The delays are nice. Some of the other effects are ok. You can plug 2 different sources into it and use independent reverbs or delay in dual mono, mix them in stereo, or even cascade 2 effects in a chain in mono (4 different routing options) which is a really nice touch. If it didn't have the design flaw that can cause hum, it would be very nice.

I tried using the MX200 in my effects loop of my amp, but it sounded bad. I think this is the fault of my amp FX loop and not the MX200. Perhaps, a digital device in between a tube preamp and amp section is not the best place for it. :idk:

Summary of the MX200 design flaw:

The Lexicon MX200 is designed as an inexpensive processor usually for live applications where you can't hear the hum. You may want to look at one of their higher end pieces. Lexicon suggests that you make sure it is secure in the rack and that there is space between the unit and the other piece/pieces of gear in the rack. Care must be taken with location in the rack, routing of audio cables and AC power source or the unit may resonate or buzz. It will be more noticeable if there is a piece of gear on or touching the unit.

I've had one for about a year and it's totally quiet - no hum at all. Overall, it's a very decent unit for the money. I got some cool reverse delays out of it which I used on my last recording project.

Is this the model with USB connectivity, that can function as a plug-in with some recording software? I'm contemplating something like that when I can spend a bit more time and money on my home-recording setup, and the Lexicon MXs were pretty attractive based on bang for the buck . . . based on specs anyway.

^ Yes, but the USB does NOT work like you might have thought. The USB does not carry the audio signal....would have been cool if they had designed it that way.