How much money should a DJ get for a bar gig?

zincfingerr

• Members

Hey,

My friend stumbled upon an ad for a bar that needs a DJ every tuesday night, and if the night is successful, it will be moved to thursday or friday.

We never went into DJing for clubs, so we never looked into the business side of things. But lately we've been realizing that the best way to get our music and remixes out there is to have a night where we just play it and go off of local word of mouth.

This bar is perfect because it's old and kind of run down but it has a lot of character and a lot of the hipsters go there on fridays and saturdays. It would be a venue where we could really play whatever we want.

We don't want to look completely ignorant when talking about the financial side of things with the guy. Is there a typical % of bar sales that we should ask for? Or does it work somehow else?

• 8 months later...
  • Members

It totally depends where you're located, the type of bar/club, how many people attend, what general format it is, etc.

If you don't get a huge turnout, ask for a fixed amount. Make it reasonable, even on the lower end of what you'd WANT to ask. If it's a decent to large turnout, ask for a percentage of the cover. It's all about striking a fine balance because club owners will try to screw you if you let them, and you also don't wanna screw yourself by doing it super-cheap or even free because then when you ask to get paid they will cop an attitude.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Depends, area, size, length, name recognition, whether its plug and play or if you have to bring the equipment all have a factor. Most gigs will go for $100-$300 if you aren't a big name pulling in lots of people. Consistent work is key, picking up the Monday-Thursday gigs so you have your weekends. Get a bonus in there for more than a certain amount of people, or as you help the bar get more business you win too. A lot of owners can be shady, their goal is to make as much money as possible. If you can help turn a Monday night from being a lose money or break even night into one that pays for you and makes money than it's win win all around.

If you have nights a local bars where you've turned around an unprofitable night than thats a big selling point to someone and demands more money than someone who comes in saying that they are great and will get the owner more business. If I have to pay someone $300 a night and I don't get more business for 4 nights worth, I've dropped $1200 on something that is not making money.

• Members

Hey,

My friend stumbled upon an ad for a bar that needs a DJ every tuesday night, and
if the night is successful
, it will be moved to thursday or friday.

We don't want to look completely ignorant when talking about the financial side of things with the guy.
Is there a typical %
of bar sales that we should ask for? Or does it work somehow else?

2 ways to this but I had to point out "if the night is successful". Tuesday night crowd vs a weekend crowd are different entities. How will they ensure that Tuesdays are successful. I am assuming the think YOU will bring in people?

As for percentages... You can either do a small cover at the door IF you are promoting the event or take 10 - 15% of bar sales.

If you have a cover, you get 100% of the door, venue gets 100% of the bar sales.

Archived