Humbucker ground hum...wiring issue?

mmmiddle

• Members

Someone with wiring expertise please help. I have a Little 59 for Tele in the bridge of a MIM telecaster. I put this pickup in a couple years ago but just rediscovered this guitar, and it has always had a grounding problem since the pickup went in. The pickup hums until you touch the bridge, volume or tone knobs, or the plate holding the volume/tone knobs. It also goes away if you touch the strings.

But...the hum is not present if I switch to either the neck pickup, or to both the bridge and neck. So it is obviously a problem with the Little 59 pickup.

I opened up the control cavity and noticed something curious. The wiring in my telecaster is different than the Seymour Duncan wiring diagram for the Little 59 for tele. First of all, the cap in my tele is wired to the bottom of the tone pot on one side to the bottom of the volume pot on the other side. Then all the ground cables are soldered to the bottom of the volume pot. In the SD diagram, the cap is wired to the bottom of the tone pot on one side and then the middle connection of the tone pot on the other. Also in the SD diagram, the ground wire from the bridge pickup (the little 59) is wired to the bottom of the tone pot, and finally, the ground / sleeve of the input jack is soldered to both the tone and volume pots.

Would any of this explain why I'm getting the hum?

Archived