The end of file sharing

vladtra

• Members

your live appearance, your podcast, your clothing line, your sex show, how am i supposed to know?

but if i'm promoting a movie and giving it away for free, isn't that defeating the purpose?

i don't get how promoting your music by giving it away for free is beneficial.

-PJ

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but if i'm promoting a movie and giving it away for free, isn't that defeating the purpose?

i don't get how promoting your music by giving it away for free is beneficial.

-PJ

you're giving away recordings of it. you can't do anything but give away the actual music.

• Members

This is what we get when we've all become so PC that we can no longer tell someone they suck.

You can't seem to get any better than a "C" in school, it's ok. We'll change the grading system. We don't want to hurt your self esteem.

You don't want to go into a "recording studio" and pay a professional to produce you're album? It's ok. We'll spend 600 bucks at guitar center, you can record your own album with equipment you probably don't know how to use. Then when you release your album we can toss it into that {censored}-heap of mediocrity, and you can post it on Myspace.

I agree with this. I think that there's a certain mentality that people are doing what they want--they're artistically free, so critiques are far less harsh than you'd get at a real professional level. Often, it's sub-professionals of varying levels critiquing sub-professionals of varying levels. So you'll get more people chiming in with a "sounds good!" or "I like it", rather than "man, i've REALLY got to buy this".

I used to weigh in on people's stuff more, but i've found that it's sort of a no-win situation--the support is rarely equivocal on both sides, you usually have someone asking for people to check out their songs, without they, themselves, checking out much else of anyone else's. So now I usually don't partake in analysises of people's work, because it really doesn't matter what I think; all that matters is what transpires when you put it out there to buy and promote and sell and have reactions from an average audience. Because that's who's buying it anyways. I figure if you can't do that, it's sort of a losing cause anyways, because you can have the greatest music and still not sell well due to lack of promotions or just indifference, and you can have absolute drivel that sells well.

The problem is that it's mostly musicians selling to musicians. Really that's what the internet promotions thing has become to most musicians; looking for advice and support and verification from their peers. However, that won't sell records. It's sort of like one supermodel asking another supermodel if they're pretty enough, or a quarterback of an opposing team asking the other team's quarterback if he's good enough. You won't know until you throw some passes in a real game. Without enough bands and musicians willing to risk their own money and start their own label and believe enough in themselves, it's more like the supermodel isn't even asking the next supermodel if she's pretty enough....she's standing in the mirror waiting for the mirror to tell her something that she should already know.

If you don't have the confidence to invest 100 percent of yourself and as much money as possible into it, you know, deep down, that you're not good enough. Most of the best bands were dead broke for years.....look at the Stones. They played, I think, 360 (!!!!) days out of 365 in the early days. They were pissing out vents in the van on the road and were living pretty much hand to mouth. Even up until 1969, they weren't technically out of debt yet; they owed their record company still, and they had to open the merchandising juggernaut to get out of the red.

What most artists don't grasp is the concept of "risk". Music has always been a gamble, and tons of labels and bands have lost money from taking that risk and grabbing for the brass ring and seeing what happens. You can't just sit back and not work and expect things to happen. It's easier to take that route, though, because like any good gambler knows, you have to bet big to win big.

• Members

I used to find a lot of great artists and excellent recordings on MP3.com

Most put up a decent 30 sec clip of their songs. Enough to sample and decide to clik the purchase link or not. Most sold their music for 5-7 bucks. I knew the artist/performers were getting 50%. I must have purchased 80 cd's from that service!

Myspace? Is littered with so much garbage and I love the fact that nobody is honest with these kids or adults posting. The stuff sounds like a buzzing bee hive, mixes are horrible and the cookie monster singer sucks! No, you get "hey that's awesome.. click my link too and add a friend" :freak: So it's more about getting each others pod clips sponsored by a friend than it is a display of quality recordings, great songs etc. Yes, that is up to individual tastes but I know a piss poor mix and bad song when I hear it, and it doesn't matter the genre.

Was at a music store and some kid comes in looking for a mixer. He says he is a producaaaa! He was looking for a new mixer and bought a Behringer 4ch toy for $59. Yep... he's a producaaaa :freak:

So he's standing there talking to the music store dudes (a real production guy) and telling him about all this software he has. Then he asks if he can buy a dongle for a cracked version of Cubase/ Nuendo and other programs he pirated and couldn't get them to work :facepalm:

• Members

I used to find a lot of great artists and excellent recordings on MP3.com

Most put up a decent 30 sec clip of their songs. Enough to sample and decide to clik the purchase link or not. Most sold their music for 5-7 bucks. I knew the artist/performers were getting 50%. I must have purchased 80 cd's from that service!

Myspace? Is littered with so much garbage and I love the fact that nobody is honest with these kids or adults posting. The stuff sounds like a buzzing bee hive, mixes are horrible and the cookie monster singer sucks! No, you get "hey that's awesome.. click my link too and add a friend"
:freak:
So it's more about getting each others pod clips sponsored by a friend than it is a display of quality recordings, great songs etc. Yes, that is up to individual tastes but I know a piss poor mix and bad song when I hear it, and it doesn't matter the genre.

Was at a music store and some kid comes in looking for a mixer. He says he is a producaaaa! He was looking for a new mixer and bought a Behringer 4ch toy for $59. Yep... he's a producaaaa
:freak:

So he's standing there talking to the music store dudes (a real production guy) and telling him about all this software he has. Then he asks if he can buy a dongle for a cracked version of Cubase/ Nuendo and other programs he pirated and couldn't get them to work
:facepalm:

LOL !!! :lol::lol:

• Members

So he's standing there talking to the music store dudes (a real production guy) and telling him about all this software he has. Then he asks if he can buy a dongle for a cracked version of Cubase/ Nuendo and other programs he pirated and couldn't get them to work
:facepalm:

:facepalm::lol::eek::lol::facepalm:

All the more ridiculous when a magazine like CM gives away DAW software that is more than enough for any keen "producer" to learn their craft and indeed produce quality work...

Archived