What's it worth? 1984 MIJ Fender Tele

karma279

• Members

Posted this in MAPS... meant to post it here.

Upgraded all pots/wiring, pro set-up. It's been played over the last 25 years and it shows a bit... has a lot of character. Considering selling it.... possibly.

Haven't bonded with it...

What are these things worth these days?

Tele13.jpg

Tele1.jpg

MIJTELE.jpg

• Members

How did you date that? Was it a Japan only guitar? MIJ Fender branded guitars only were imported to the USA post the CBS divestiture circa late 1985 and the MIJ Standard models only appeared in the later 80s.

I'd loosely estimate you mightbe able to get $300-375 or so ballpark.

• Members

all my 80s FJs have a pencil date on the neck butt. If thats a top loader bridge, then they always sell for much less than the string throughs from that era do over here. Plus the changed parts affect resale value as well.

Were there ever any Japan only Fenders after the original JVs?

• Members

How did you date that? Was it a Japan only guitar? MIJ Fender branded guitars only were imported to the USA post the CBS divestiture circa late 1985 and the MIJ Standard models only appeared in the later 80s.

I'd loosely estimate you mightbe able to get $300-375 or so ballpark.

I was told it was '84 and that by my serial # they were produced from '84 to '87 :idk:

I know these things have a fanbase...

• Members

There is a lot of inaccurate info on the web regarding 80s Fender serial numbers. If you asked me to guess wo/ having the guitar in hand or taking it apart, I'd figure that is a modified late 80s MIJ Standard Telecaster, essentially the same guitar as the second version of the MIJ Squier models but with the Fender brand. The bridge doesn't have a lot of vintage snob appeal but works fine as long as the saddle adjustment is ok plus it intonates. The dating probably doesn't matter a whole lot as far as the possible resale value. Decent guitars in general. Used to sell them and had a fair amount of hands on experience with a MIJ Squier labeled version.

• Members

There is a lot of inaccurate info on the web regarding 80s Fender serial numbers. If you asked me to guess wo/ having the guitar in hand or taking it apart, I'd figure that is a modified late 80s MIJ Standard Telecaster, essentially the same guitar as the second version of the MIJ Squier models but with the Fender brand. The bridge doesn't have a lot of vintage snob appeal but works fine as long as the saddle adjustment is ok plus it intonates. The dating probably doesn't matter a whole lot as far as the possible resale value. Decent guitars in general. Used to sell them and had a fair amount of hands on experience with a MIJ Squier labeled version.

Hmm... so you couldn't tell by the serial # if it was string-thru originally vs the top loader that it is?

One could be converted easily and look original?

• Members

thats why markings in the neck pocket are important, the top loaders were and still are the low ends on the totem pole for FJ. Not dissing the guitar, just telling it how it is, so if somebody turns one into a string through the model number should give it away...`course there are always exceptions with FJ in my experience, so until we know what it says in the pocket, it`s just guess work.

• Members

I would be interested as well if you decide to part with it-Cool guitar, but yeah, Zenbu is right about the top loader being less valuable, I really wouldn't alter it though- there are people like me who don't care if its string through or not, but if you alter it you may reduce your pool of buyers. Its not that its an insanely valuable vintage instrument, but some of us really like that era of Japanese Fenders.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have a 62 Tele Reissue that I bought new in 1985. MIJ custom and binding on the body. Made when Fender was first bought out an was having a difficult time keeping up with production in the USA. 

Bought as a back up guitar, and it quickly moved to the front of the pack for every electric gig I have done since.

To me this one Priceless:lol:, but you can find one out there for like a grand or more, depending on condition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an 87 made in Japan Fender Strat.  Paid around $250 for it in the early 90's and it probably isn't worth much more then that now. That's even with the top of the line pickups I installed in it.   

The market is so over saturated with fender guitars these days.  Even if the instrument is in top condition, getting anything near list cost is very challenging. Best suggestion I have is google up the model and see what they are currently selling for.  You should realize with a depressed economy like we have now, this is a buyers, not a sellers market.  with so many people out of work you can buy anything you want for chump change.  If you can hold on 6 months till the Holidays you might actually get a buyer and a better price.

Archived