Chris Rea's rig and tuning?

Faber

• Members

Rea have recorded some fine tones through the years. he use that pink strat a lot/mostly, but does anyone know what he use for effects and amps? I'm assuming there's a compression pedal in there, but other than that I don't know

Also, does anyone know what tuning he use for slide? I *think* Road to Hell might be open E.

• Members

There is someone I haven't heard of since I moved back from Vancouver in the mid-'90's.

Yeah, know what you mean. Just dug out my old LPs for the first time in years this week, and found out I've missed em. There are some good songs there

• Members

Yeah, know what you mean. Just dug out my old LPs for the first time in years this week, and found out I've missed em. There are some good songs there

I may buy a few tunes from iTunes.

book_of_lies777, Rea is a English cross between blues player and signer/songwriter (form what I heard) with a catalog 3 decades long. Lots of UK success, and only one pseudo-regional hit in the States...Road to Hell. The song was still in moderate rotation in Canada when i lived in Vancouver...I had always assumed he was Canadian and they were milking him for their mandatory 1/3 Canadian broadcast content...but he's not and they really were just signing the tune a lot.

• Members

According to one of the UK gear mags, Chris R currently uses various guitars (assorted Hofners, a Strat w/BareKnuckle PUs, a couple of Italia Maranellos) into a pair of Blues Juniors via a whole mess of pedals including a TS808, and Boss compressor, delay and chorus.

• Members

According to one of the UK gear mags, Chris R currently uses various guitars (assorted Hofners, a Strat w/BareKnuckle PUs, a couple of Italia Maranellos) into a pair of Blues Juniors via a whole mess of pedals including a TS808, and Boss compressor, delay and chorus.

in the "Road to Hell and Back" booklet he's picktured with the Maranellos, a strat with two HBs, and old Pinky. No sign of the rest of the rig.

I did wonder if I was hearing a TS in there somewhere.

• Members

I think that Road to Hell is open G like this:

D G D G B D

At least I know for certain that the two first strings are tuned B and D as he uses them to to play the E and G double stop that is used throughout the two solos. That means: play the first two strings with the slide at the 17th fret.

I don't really remember the rest of the solo on top of my head but tuning the high E-string down to will enable you to play the solos. I'd guess that the overall tuning is open G. The rest of the strings could be in standard tuning, though.

• Members

I think that Road to Hell is open G like this:

D G D G B D

At least I know for certain that the two first strings are tuned B and D as he uses them to to play the E and G double stop that is used throughout the two solos. That means: play the first two strings with the slide at the 17th fret.

I don't really remember the rest of the solo on top of my head but tuning the high E-string down to will enable you to play the solos. I'd guess that the overall tuning is open G. The rest of the strings could be in standard tuning, though.

Thanks that helps a lot. I've considered those E+G double stops an indication of an open E tuning, playing them on the b and g strings. But your idea makes more sense :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Specifically, the signal goes TS808--CS2--DM3--CE1

• Members

Thanks
:thu:
If you don't mind my asking, where's your info from?

Reluctant as I am to mention a UK guitar mag for which I don't write a regular column ... the Chris Rea info comes from Guitar Buyer (#80, April 2008).

• Members

I love Chris Rea's stuff. I think I have all of his CD's.

So do I, including all of his "import" CDs and "CD EPs". Great voice, writer, slide player.

I understand he was involved with making a film, which took him out of the music scene for a while. I also undrstand that he's gotten very ill over the last ten years... diabetes I think?

• Members

Reluctant as I am to mention a UK guitar mag for which I don't write a regular column ... the Chris Rea info comes from Guitar Buyer (#80, April 2008).

Oh mention away. I don't think I've ever seen that one in Denmark. Yours OTOH is about as widely distributed as PG these days

• Members

I really like "Fool" a lot. Very well produced and arranged.

That's the one he hates, because it bagged him as MOR for decades when he always thought of himself as essentially a blues guy.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Rea have recorded some fine tones through the years. he use that pink strat a lot/mostly, but does anyone know what he use for effects and amps? I'm assuming there's a compression pedal in there, but other than that I don't know

Also, does anyone know what tuning he use for slide? I *think* Road to Hell might be open E.

Hi, did you ever find out what the proper tuning is?

As an incompetent and with my ears as only aid,I came up with this:

F/C/F/G#/C/D#/.It does not sound bad at all... still something tells me that Chris Rea must have used a more elegant approach.

Greetings,S.T.

• Members

Hi, did you ever find out what the proper tuning is?

As an incompetent and with my ears as only aid,I came up with this:

F/C/F/G#/C/D#/.It does not sound bad at all... still something tells me that Chris Rea must have used a more elegant approach.

Greetings,S.T.

not for certain no. I think, based on this here clip below that he's in open E. OTOH I've found that the intro and first solo sit pretty well in open G, and since the band already have two open G tunes, I went with that

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R8KkuNIDweQ

• 11 years later...

Archived