Tuners to fit 1965 Melody Maker

type2guy

• Members

I recently picked up an (almost) all original 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. The tuners had been changed out for some really cheapo suckers that need to go.

I ended up picking up an aftermarket pickguard and installing a GFS mini humbucker in it. Was able to do it without having to route the guitar. Also pulled off the vibrato bar and put bridge/tailpiece with adjustable saddles on there. Guitar turned out GREAT and has tone for days!!! Best thing is it'll go back to original without any trouble if needed.

So....I'm not really interested in original melody maker style tuners. Would like to put some Grovers on there. Thing is....seems like the holes on the headstock are smaller than normal. What is a good replacement that'll fit without having to open up the holes. I'm not as worried about set screw holes on the backside as that's already been fudged.

Here's picture of me playing it for the first time Friday at my bar.

l_27b123515acf4237af32f1d35efacadf.jpg

• Members

GFS has vintage styled Wilkinson tuners that will fit without reaming the holes. I would def go this route.

If they are out (they're not all that popular) they are on ebay too.

They look like a vintage Fender tuner without the split top post.

The mounting screws will most likely line up with the original "strip" tuners holes.

Edit: Grovers are much heavier and my alter the weight and balance.

• Members

I love the necks on those old Melody Makers! Good choice to put a mini-bucker in so you didn't have to re-rout. The stock pups are pretty anemic. I have a '64 Epi MM. It has those cheap open 3-on-a-plate tuners. Not sure if Gibson MMs were different. I'd go with vintage Klusons. With just about anything else you'll have to drill the holes out.

• Members

Here are some vintage style Grovers that should work. Stew Mac has the exact dimensions in their catalog.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

Click on "specs" in the link to be sure.

I reamed out the holes in my Gibson way back when:facepalm:

...but I do like the locking rotomatics I have in there now.:thu:

• Members

I agree with the recommendation to avoid radically changing the original holes. Additionally, because the headstock is so tiny, big tuning machines will look kinda hokey IMO.

I went with vintage looking Kluson style tuners from guitar fetish...wilkinson maybe. They work great. Quality "three-on-the-tree" tuners will be hard to come by anyway...remember this guitar was a Gibson budget/student model.

IMG_0830.jpg

Here's a photo of the body for shits n giggles. Yes I took the original pickguard assembly and hardware off and stored it.

IMG_0826.jpg

Archived