Has anyone played Washburn HB35s before?

heyman321

• Members

Hi.

I'm itching for a semi hollow and I absolutely love the look and sound of ES 335s and 355s. They simply look orgasmic. :love: However, I don't have the money to spend over $2000 on a guitar right now, and I was looking for alternatives and I came upon the Washburn HB35. It's the closest thing that looks to a 355. Semi block inlays, the shape, gold hardware, etc. The only thing I'm weary of are the colours, I hope that it is actually cherry red and not wine like a lot of the pictures show it to be.

But here is my question: Have any of you guys played a hb35 before? How does it sound and how does neck feel, thin or thick? My closest guitar shop is two hours away, so I may resort to online buying. But I want to make sure I get some good opinions on the guitar before I even consider buying online, let alone finding a time to go to the shop first.

Thanks for any opinions.

• Members

I played a couple of the newer HB35s on my trip back to China and it was a serious consideration until I ran into my current 335 type guitar made by Johnson with a bigsby. :D

Anyways, the newer guitars have a chunkier neck, think epiphone dot flametop (i think that was the chunkier necked model), the slimmer necks were usually on the older HB35s I think. I liked the action and the Buzz Feintein system but the horns bugged me - mainly because I'm traditional and liked the original look of the 335s.

The one I played was in the natural finish so I can't comment on the color but I'm sure the pictures usually don't do a guitar justice, from the reviews I've read, the color is actually quite nice. The sound through a cheap Chinese made solid state was really nice - but I agree with electric blues in that a pickup swap and a proper setup would definitely help but right in the shop, it sounded really nice. Sounded really nice acoustically as well, debatable whether or not that had a real impact on the sound though.

Hope this helps!

• Members

Bought one a few months ago, really like it, don't think you could go wrong with one.

Neck is a bit chunkier than my Gibby LP Standard, about an eighth of an inch wider at the 12th fret, and a wee bit thicker too.

Great guitar for the price, mine was $484 w/hsc.

Can't confirm the cherry/wine question, I bought one of the naturals.

• Members

I have one also in natural. Chunky neck and very well made. Sound-wise it's brighter than the Dot. I still have the original pickups in mine but I can see where a set of 57's or Seth Lovers would make it a great sounding guitar. I think it's the best of the 335 style guitars in that price range.

• Members

Here's my Peavey JF. Less than 300, put in Gibson 57's and presto, you've got a really great, inexpensive 335. The neck has a wide, flat board with medium chunky neck. I bought it for a beater bar guitar, but it really looks too good and sounds too good for that. Besides, I have plenty of other bar guitars.

• Members

I couldn't be more impressed with mine.

That looks like a gorgeous guitar. How do you think it sounded stock? And how did the neck feel? Also, where did you get that green finish? All the ones I've seen are either red or natural.

• Members

Man... I really want to get one, after reading all these good reviews, but DAMN the weak Canadian economy. It went up from like $499 a couple of months ago, to almost $700. The ones on ebay are just as expensive. I guess I gotta wait unitl the Canadian dollar strengthens a bit. :(

• Members

I've considered the HB-35 as well. After playing a bunch I'd look for one of the made in Japan models, you can tell from the switch placement, but the Korean ones are solid too.

A couple others to consider...

Ibby AS93

Samick RL4

Hagstrom Viking (although this is a modern interpretation)

DeArmond Starfire (a bit rare, but great stuff)

• Members

I don't know what your exact price range is, but I was in a similar boat. I wanted a 335 but didn't have $2800 for a new one or even enough for a used one. Frankly, the Epi Sheratons I played were okay but they did not seem like an "end-all" guitar to me so I held off.

I ended up getting a used Heritage H535 (in my avatar) for $1250 about 3 weeks ago. This is not an exceptional price - the go for around that all the time. This guitar is just as good if not better than a Gibson. USA made, nitro finish, flame maple top, back, sides and pickguard, Grovers, Schaller hardware, PLEK'd fretwork. It sounds, looks, and plays amazing and blows the doors off an Epi in every way. It's a nice halfway point in price between a Epi which IMO wasn't good enough and a Gibson which is just too expensive for me (except this is better than the last Gibson I played).

Archived