What is the difference between the dogear P 90 and the Soapbar P 90

danuniversal

• Members

Only problem is you can't swap those two pickups with one another. Dog Ear is much thinner depth wise than a soapbar.

I bought one of those Epi Les Paul Jr's with a single bridge Dog Eared p90. My intention was to slam a EMG P-91 (soapbar sized EMG 81 equivilent). No go. The EMG (or any soapbar P-90 for that matter) is much thicker depth wise than the standard dog eared pickup.

Not even sure how to proceed and I have been sitting on this guitar for a few years now waiting for an answer to route it deeper without going through the back of the guitar.

• Members
What is the difference between the dogear P 90 and the Soapbar P 90?

Is the dogear P 90 a soapbar with covers?

They both have covers ordinarily. Its just the way they mount to the guitar body. Regular ones have screws going directly through the body of the pickup to the guitar. Dog ears have those little "dog ear" tabs on the long ends of the pickup to secure it to the guitar body.

• Members

Depth wise they are the same size as a Dimarzio P-90 SUper Distortion which is also a humbucker but not any deeper than a regular soapbar. Point being the Dimarzios and EMG's swap right into a guitar with regular P-90 soapbars with no extra routing. With this guitar however I am at a loss even though the 2 holes needing to be drilled to mount is a given and not the problem I am worrying about.

• Members

They both have covers ordinarily. Its just the way they mount to the guitar body. Regular ones have screws going directly through the body of the pickup to the guitar. Dog ears have those little "dog ear" tabs on the long ends of the pickup to secure it to the guitar body.

+1

Dogears have a different bottom plate, one with the tabs.

• Members

+1

Dogears have a different bottom plate, one with the tabs.

True. Much thinner pickup overall though. If only I realized that there was a physical difference between dog-ears and soapbars before buying the EPi with intentions on modding it, I would have thought twice. I was under the impression the pickups were the same only the dog ear cover was just the cosmetic difference than the soapbar cover.

Archived