Strings: From 10-46 to 11-48 on a Strat

pathofspirit

• Members

I just went up a gauge in string size on a MIJ Squier strat. I had some fret buzz on two strings way up the neck and couldn't get rid of it unless I adjust the bridge pieces on the E and B strings way up. One tech told me I needed to replace the neck. Not now, thank you.

So . . . I decided to try a slightly higher gauge string and adjusted the neck a little. Voila - sounds good. Also plays nicely. I thinking about making this change on my MIM Fender squier model. I think the stock pickups are ceramic on that guitar and the thicker strings will add a little more beef.

Question - given that these are older guitars (MIJ '86, MIM '94) and have had 10s on them for a while, can this change cause any damage with the higher stress on the heavier gauge?

• Members

the switch from 10s to 11s won't hurt the guitar. personally, i can't do it. i have carpel tunnel and tendonitis, and simply can't play for any extended period of time on 11s. oddly, i like 12-54s on my steel string acoustic, and hard tension classical strings. those feel right. but not 11s on my electrics.

• Members

No,it won't cause any damage...and slap that tech for me

Thanks for the input and yes, I won't be taking this tech's advice on the neck. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, the MIJ Squiers of the 80s were some fine guitars. The neck/headstock contributes to the quasi-classic nature of the instrument. Pulling this off for a generic neck, no matter how good, is not something I'm interested in at this point.

• Members

You lost me there for a second - I thought you were saying the buzz came AFTER you'd installed the heavier strings, which would be illogical since more tension should raise action not lower it.

You might have a couple raised frets that could be tapped down or filed but replacing the neck would be the last resort after all other solutions were exhausted. Let me guess, did this 'tech' offer to dispose of the old neck for you? You did right to run frim that guy.

I love 11s or 12s on a strat.

• Members

I've had this tech do work for me in the past and he's always been good but I think he was wrong on this one. The playability I'm now experiencing on this guitar is proof enough for me.

What does tapping down a fret involve?

As for 11's - I'm really liking them on this strat. As I said above, I believe my MIM Fender squier model has ceramic pickups, which I think are brighter than alnico strat pickups. I'm going to try 11s on that one, too.

Archived