Best Strat-style guitar in the ~$1500 range?

Killa J

• Members

I haven't looked at Strat style guitars in a long time, so I don't know what's really out there. Oh yeah, I'm left handed, so it has to be available lefty.

I think I'm going to convert my Mexican Strat to dual humbuckers and keep it tuned to C#, so I want something nicer with either HSS or SSS pickups. I've played everything Fender puts out in my price range, and none of them jump out at me. What brand(s) would be my best bet for less than $1500? I'd like to try a Suhr Pro Series, but they're $500-700 above what I want to pay. How are G&L? Maybe Warmoth?

• Members

How about a nice Carvin C66M?

carvin-2-265.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one of those. I've owned 2 Carvins before, and I really liked them. The only problem is that I don't really like their pickups, and they use a crappy version of the Wilkinson tremolo. I still may be able to change all that out and stay in my budget though, so I'm not sure.

• Members

Cool, so you'd consider G&L to be higher quality than Warmoth?

I think that the G&L trem is the best strat-style trem yet invented, and the workanship is there throughout the process. I also like the pickups, as they've got a pretty unique voice. You really can't go wrong with a nice Legacy.

• Members

Cool, so you'd consider G&L to be higher quality than Warmoth?

I think that would be a function of who puts the Warmoth together! If I build and set up your Warmouth, the G&L is probably going to be much much better.

G&L has very consistent fit and finish, great hardware, and their guitars are now PLEKed at the factory. They have a slightly different voice to them IMO but a Legacy still sounds very much like a good Strat.

They have a few different necks (take a look on the site)...it's not the shape of the carve so much as it is different fretboard radii and nut widths. You can also get a V-neck. Mine's a substantial C-shape but they may be different now.

• Members

G&L are high quality, but they're missing that "something" to me. My Warmoth/ USACG on the other hand...

Guitar003.jpg

:love:

1 piece super-light swamp ash Warmoth body in Mary Kaye burst

light birdseye USACG soft V-C neck

Wilkinson VSVG trem

Callaham Cryo-Fralin pre-wired PG

Point being- play a bunch of stratatypes to see what works for you and what doesn't. Buy that, or make it with everything you preferred about the ones you tried. For me, that took a JV strat and about four parts iterations. If you find what you like beforehand it should be much easier :thu:

• Members

How are the necks on the G&Ls? That's the most important part to me.

Like strats through the years, there's variation. On the whole though, I would say that most I've played (spanning mid-90's through early 2000's) are just a hair on the slim side of what Fender calls a "modern C profile," so they feel great to me. All this talk about G&L's is making me wish I hadn't sold the 2 I used to have...:cry:

• Members

How are the necks on the G&Ls? That's the most important part to me.

I've played quite a few G&L's, and I could never dig the necks. They always felt very bulky and awkward to me, but I don't know why. The necks didn't seem to be too thick or anything, they just didn't feel right in my hands, and these are various ASATs, Legacys, and a Comanche. They sound and look nice though, so they are still worth checking out if you get the chance.

• Members
I've played quite a few G&L's, and I could never dig the necks. They always felt very bulky and awkward to me, but I don't know why. The necks didn't seem to be too thick or anything, they just didn't feel right in my hands, and these are various ASATs, Legacys, and a Comanche. They sound and look nice though, so they are still worth checking out if you get the chance.

Same here, and I love fat necks. Just too much in the wrong places.

• Members

At $1350, the Japanese made Pacifica 904 is a true bargain. It qualifies as a strat, being a four single coil configuration with all the classic sounds and some more. All the components, electronics, grade of woods, craftmanship, etc. is custom shop level by american standards. It is being discontinued this year and I don't know what Yamaha will come up with to replace it. It is no money maker for them and is pretty scarce.

Contour.jpg

Headstock.jpg

Warmothneck.jpg

Tremarm.jpg

Electroniccavity.jpg

Detailfrets.jpg

bridge2.jpg

• Members

At $1350, the Japanese made Pacifica 904 is a true bargain. It qualifies as a strat, being a four single coil configuration with all the classic sounds and some more. All the components, electronics, grade of woods, craftmanship, etc. is custom shop level by american standards. It is being discontinued this year and I don't know what Yamaha will come up with to replace it. It is no money maker for them and is pretty scarce.

That reminds me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230302429202&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

fa6c_3.JPG

fd18_3.JPG

ffec_3.JPG

0274_3.JPG

Archived