Derek St. Holmes vs. Ted Nugent

Akira13

• Members

I've been listening to a bunch of live Ted Nugent band recordings recently, and it seems that every time St. Holmes took a solo (usually right before Ted) they were always much shorter, but with far superior phrasing and tone. It seemed Ted would always try to start playing as fast as he could to make up for the fact that he just got blown away by his "rhythm" guitarist. Does anyone else agree that Derek was a better player (as well as singer, obviously?)

• Members

wow, I'm surprised! I thought at least some of you guys would agree that Derek's phrasing was better, what with some of the Nugent hate that I've seen on here before.. not that I hate Ted!

I think many folks really dislike Ted's politics and his asinine personality, but it's hard to argue with his guitar playing ability or his rock and roll pedigree.

It is no slight to Derek at all. He is primarily known as a singer and a damned good one at that.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have always like Derek better than Ted. He is a better singer, songwriter and a way better guitarist than Ted. The songs he wrote and sang on were always better than Ted's too. If I remember they had a falling out because Derek sued him over song rights. They ened up being friends again and did a radio show out of Ted's barn. 

Archived