Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS) Green Beret Initial Review

Meowy

• Members

Wow.

I replaced the G12H30 with the Green Beret (Greenback clone) in my Peavey Classic 30 and my Les Paul now sounds like I always thought it should. Gone are the over accentuated mids and mucky lows.

I think I am reaching the perfect C30 recipe:

New Speaker: WGS Green Beret

V1: Tung Sol 12AX7

V2: Penta (~9th gen chinese) 12AX7

V3: Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Power: JJ EL84 (though I've never tried anythign else except stock)

PS: The G12H will be outboarded in a Peavey e112 cabinet. Hopefully the enclosed environment will tighten up the lows and eliminate some of the the overpowering mids I heard in the combo cab.

I can't say for sure how much the tubes made a difference. V2 definitely did and it is responsible for Ch2 overdrive.

The speaker made all the difference in the world - even (for me) over a Celestion G12H . If you are trying to spice up your relationship with your C30, get the WGS now. Oh and it's only $65 :thu:

• Members

Great review, Meowy. And lots of great info for folks fiddling with the C30.

People fiddle with tubes a lot, and they do change the tone/level of breakup, etc. But dollar for dollar, the speaker is the most important piece of the whole tone chain.

I've been looking at those Green Berets for a while. Do you know how close they get to a "real" greenback?

• Members

I love my Classic Lead speakers in my Marshall 2x12 combo. Nowadays, though, I'm using it as a cab for my Blackheart, and I have a switch box that lets me use just one 12" for each amp. The CL80 can handle the the SS 100 watt marshall for low volumes. I was thinking about replacing the one I use for the blackheart for with a Greenback, which could then be comboed in series for the Marshall if I ever get to melt some faces with that badboy.

Glad to hear their quality hasn't gone down. :thu: Thanks for the review!

• Members

Great review, Meowy. And lots of great info for folks fiddling with the C30.

People fiddle with tubes a lot, and they do change the tone/level of breakup, etc. But dollar for dollar, the speaker is the most important piece of the whole tone chain.

I've been looking at those Green Berets for a while. Do you know how close they get to a "real" greenback?

Actually, I've never played through a real Greenback, but I do know I really like the WGS.

I just arrived at this combination as I replaced V2 which was a JJ ECC83S. There was just too much fizz. The Penta was the fix to that and I have (or at least perceive to have) more headroom. Probably a match for my V1 or V3 would've worked too, but I had the Penta sitting around.

And for the hell of it I tried out the JJ in my new Super Champ XD and holy {censored} it sounds great there and gives a bit more early breakup and crunch - which was the problem in the Peavey (interesting). You really can hear the difference. I have a Weber Sig 10" on its way for that amp as well.

With the Peavey I went from an earlier distorting tube and later distorting speaker to a later distorting tube and earlier distorting speaker. New flavor of ear candy aside, it is intersting how the results worked out.

• Members

Just out of curiosity, is that G12H30 brand new? They take about a month of moderate playing to really break in and sound their best. I know I was pretty disappointed with mine when I first got it. It was really harsh and brittle on the top end. It did get noticeably better after a few weeks though, and now I actually prefer it over a Greenback.

FWIW, I've got a Greenback in my extension cab and the G12H30 is the internal speaker in my C30. I love the combo, but I also realize that everyone has their own ideals about what the perfect tone is.

Glad you're happy with the new speaker. I've heard a lot of great reviews of the Warehouse Speakers and the Green Beret particularly. :thu:

• Members

Just out of curiosity, is that G12H30 brand new? They take about a month of moderate playing to really break in and sound their best. I know I was pretty disappointed with mine when I first got it. It was really harsh and brittle on the top end. It did get noticeably better after a few weeks though, and now I actually prefer it over a Greenback.

FWIW, I've got a Greenback in my extension cab and the G12H30 is the internal speaker in my C30. I love the combo, but I also realize that everyone has their own ideals about what the perfect tone is.

Glad you're happy with the new speaker. I've heard a lot of great reviews of the Warehouse Speakers and the Green Beret particularly.
:thu:

How does the G12H30 sound compared to a greenback?

• Members

The G12H30 is crisper. Has a tighter bottom end and doesn't break up as soon. The top end isn't as rounded as the Greenback either. It's also noticeably louder.

I think the two speakers compliment each other very well.

• Members

Disclaimer: This is a first-impressions comparison after 1-2 hours playing the new speaker. The G12H in a word is LOUDER, while the WGS is smoother. It is a more efficient speaker than the Green Beret in particular with more uppers and upper mids and to a lesser degree more (not necessarily tighter though) bass response. Sometimes with the WGS in particular with a neck HB it got a little boomy. I wonder if maybe the speaker was not being pushed hard enough. It just seemed to me that there was less definition than the WGS and there was some mush across the frequency spectrum. I am finding that for me the Greenie is nailing the tone I have always wanted from the C30. I am hoping that moving the G12H to the closed-back Classic 30 extension cabinet I am getting tomorrow will tighten everything up and add even more complexity to my tone.

• Members

Here's a song I started several months ago and never finished. I know some of the guitars are mic'd on the G12H30 and others are mic'd on the Greenback, but I couldn't tell you which ones are which.

They are all different guitars through the Classic 30 though.

Unfinished Song

If I can remember when I get home, I can open the project and see if I labelled the tracks as to which speaker was mic'd for which track.

• Members

This is curious.

I have a new G12H (anniversary) and a 70s G12H. Both sound very similar (70s is smoother) with crisp highs, big but tightly controlled bass and slightly scooped mids - not at all like your description.

I also have a variety of 'greenbacks' (G12M). The 20W version is quite dark and rounded, fat mids, loose bass, warm highs. The 25W version tends to be quite bright, like a harsh sounding Alnico blue, with loose bass and accentuated mids. It *sounds* like you had a G12M, which is curious as I'm sure you can read the label on the back OK.

Whatever, hope you enjoy the new speaker.

• Members

I settled on a G12H30 in mine (actually a Hellatone 30). I tried the Tung-Sol/Penta/Sovtek combo in the pre, and then compared it with the high-gain JJ pre-amp tubes. The high gain JJ tubes (pre and power) and Hellatone 30 is the perfect match for me! :thu:

I never really liked JJ pre's in high gain heads (like a 5150), but in my Classic 30 I love them!

• Members

This is curious.

I have a new G12H (anniversary) and a 70s G12H. Both sound very similar (70s is smoother) with crisp highs, big but tightly controlled bass and slightly scooped mids - not at all like your description.

I also have a variety of 'greenbacks' (G12M). The 20W version is quite dark and rounded, fat mids, loose bass, warm highs. The 25W version tends to be quite bright, like a harsh sounding Alnico blue, with loose bass and accentuated mids. It *sounds* like you had a G12M, which is curious as I'm sure you can read the label on the back OK.

Whatever, hope you enjoy the new speaker.

My G12H is actually the 70th anniv series as well. I would agree the lower mids are scooped but the upper mids are more pronounced almost a little Skynyrd-like honky

The WGS is rated at 25w and although it does distort earlier than the G12H, it distorts smoother. Oh and because of where the speaker leads are in the C30 relative to the speaker terminals I had to install the speaker upside-down, but I can still read the label :wave:;)

• Members

I'm with you, Meowy. I just love the Green Berets. I put two in my Crate V Series 50 watt combo 6 months ago. No idea how they compare to Greenbacks, but they're a big step up from the stock Celestions 70/80's that came with the amp. Very smooth, with lots of definition and character.

Archived