If I am Loosening a truss rod, can I break anything?

Renard

• Members

This is a follow up to my questions on the new Agile. Ive done some reading on truss rod adjustment in the last half hour, and it seems like my neck probably just needs a bit more relief. I turned the truss rod a 1/4 turn, and man! Its way better. Still some buzz though. Do I need to be careful with turning it the way I would if I was tightening it? I dont want to go to town on it our anything, just wondering what a safe interval of turn/wait is. Thanks!

• Members

Are you SURE you know which way to turn that truss rod? You've determined your neck needs more relief, so you're loosening the truss rod?? To get more relief, you tighten. To get less, you loosen. Maybe there's rare exceptions to that, but that's what I've been told and what I've read.

I think some more reading than just a half hour's worth is needed. Look for threads on HC regarding guitar setup or web search guitar setup.

Quarter turn at a time regardless of which way; wait a few hours to let it set in.

• Members

I didn't answer your title question directly; If I am loosening a truss rod, can I break anything?

You won't break anything. But, hopefully, somebody here far more knowledgeable than me could point out possible problems in loosening the rod too much (besides no relief or reverse relief).

• Members

So, you're saying my second post is wrong as well?

No, you can't break anything loosening the rod.

The danger in tightening too much is that you could strip the threads on the rod or snap it. You have to really crank it before that happens though.

Loosen (counterclockwise)=more relief (concave fretboard)

Tighten (clockwise)=less relief (flat fretboard)

• Members

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll just play it safe. Ive turned it about a 3/8 or so over the course of the night, and ill just let it sit till tomorrow. The buzzing is already better!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

No, you can't break anything loosening the rod.

The danger in tightening too much is that you could strip the threads on the rod or snap it. You have to really crank it before that happens though.

Loosen (counterclockwise)=more relief (concave fretboard)

Tighten (clockwise)=less relief (flat fretboard)

OK. Question. This just occured to me. Counterclockwise while looking DOWN the guitar from the headstock or looking UP from the players perspective.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. Doing lots of "searches"

• Members

OK. Question. This just occured to me. Counterclockwise while looking DOWN the guitar from the headstock or looking UP from the players perspective.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. Doing lots of "searches"

Its counterclockwise facing end of the truss rod you are adjusting, so looking down from the headstock if adjusting at the headstock, or looking up the neck if adjusting at the base of the neck.

Archived