how many famous guitarists don't use their pinky ?

mister natural

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I'm probably the worst guitarist on this board, but I tried this last night, and can't for the life of me figure out how anybody plays anything other than power chords and blues runs without their pinky. For example, if I try to play this simple E7 chord:

e 4

b 0

g 1

d 0

a 2

e 0

even though you only need three fingers, I have to play the G# with my pinky, as my ring finger just won't reach the fourth fret.

• Members

OK, I'm probably the worst guitarist on this board, but I tried this last night, and can't for the life of me figure out how anybody plays anything other than power chords and blues runs without their pinky. For example, if I try to play this simple E7 chord:

e 4

b 0

g 1

d 0

a 2

e 0

even though you only need three fingers, I have to play the G# with my pinky, as my ring finger just won't reach the fourth fret.

I think anyone with pinky uses their pinky for chords. I don't know anyone that does't. I just don't use it to solo.

• Members

I've always used my pinky, I don't really understand how someone can say they can't use it because it's too weak. I use my pinky about as much as any other finger and find that It's pretty much equal with my other three. I can't play with my thumb though, I keep my thumb pointed vertically and resting directly in the middle of the neck. This grip allows my other 4 fingers to move more freely and increase my range.

• Members

I don't really use mine, i'm really really trying to start to use it, but because its double jointed, unless i keep it straight-ish, it keeps locking up

i can use it on a piano fine, but if i have to curl it, it just becomes useless

:(

• Members

I think anyone with pinky uses their pinky for chords. I don't know anyone that does't. I just don't use it to solo.

Well that makes more sense. I played cello for years, and only recently took up guitar. It never occurred to me that one wouldn't necessarily use all their digits.

• Members

Apart from using my pinky for my slide ...

There are an awful lot of blues licks which require all four fingers -- like, frinstance, anything based around a first-position second-fret barred A with the pinky holding the 5th-fret A on the high E string ... or any of the cascading pull-offs Jeff Beck borrowed from Les Paul ... or a first-position C7 chord ... hey, tons of stuff.

There's more to life than three-finger speed-runs, ya know ...

• Members

A lot of the 60's guys ( Clapton, Page, West) didn't use their pinkys much. They were more blues players and bent a lot of notes as opposed to playing long scalar type stuff where the pinky really comes into it's own. A lot of guys bend with their pinkys though. Doesn't come easy to me.

• Members

I was a computer gamer way before I started playing guitar, so countless hours with a keyboard has given me pretty good dexterity with all my fingers. However I have pretty small hands, so I can't really use my thumb on the fretting hand.

• 11 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived