how many famous guitarists don't use their pinky ?

mister natural

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that unless you intentally pushed yourself to use a pinky, you'll use three fingers. Many players who never took any formal lessons use three.

Many more players than you would think for sure.

Of course there's those like Freddie King who not only use four fingers and their thumb. They also use thumb and finger picks with their picking hand?

I use mine on the 4th position to my index finger all the time but only on High E B G and some D. No A or Low E though.

• Members

I've noticed EJ and Vai use there's only sparingly. I think they've got such great reach with their first 3 fingers that they just don't need it much. Who knows....

yeah i think reach has a lot to do with it in some players, clapton has the reach with his 3 fingers and seems to just use the pinky the occasional time or when he plays some chords or slide...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

we all have different size and shaped hands, we all have to do what best suits us as individuals...

what works for one may not be the best for another, there are no set rules only a means to an end... do your best to be aware of all the options available out there , and then do what works best for you to get your music across....

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Clapton

Django

Iommi

McCready

Frusciante, though not too sure about him.

For the most part, bluesy oriented players only use three fingers. I only use three fingers, and I actually got faster because of it. I think my large hands kind of make my pinky unnecessary. I can still use my pinky if needed to, but it slows me down actually when make a bluesy run.

• Members

Considering the tuning I like to use (Robert Fripp's tuning) line up in four note patterns the pinky is essential to me.

The only guitarist I knew of that didn't use their pinky before coming into this thread was Clapton (at least in solos, I think he uses it for chording)

• Members

i think alot of players use their pinky sparingly, it seems like it could be an issue of reach but :idk: i've never really used it too often (apart from chords), i have huge hands, and use my thumb much more than my pinky. I guess i just don't need it for the stuff i play

• Members

I only use my 1st, 3rd, & 4th

:)

For years, I never used my pinky. To become a better player, I decided to drill my way into the habit of using it.

Now I find that I rarely ever use my 2nd finger...

Maybe I'm just cursed to use three, regardless.

• Members

Watched a Rush concert the other night & I was astonished to see Lifeson use only 3/4s of his fretting fingers.

Who else has gotten famously prolific with this handicap ?

my biggest pet peve of guitarists are when they don't use their pinky's. it just annoys me to watch.

Archived