how many famous guitarists don't use their pinky ?

mister natural

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think your fingers are only as strong/fast as the weakest one...so working on pinky strength and dexterity helps with your overall playing!!......

.....hey, if you got it, use it!!!!!!!
:thu:

But if you don't use it, then it doesn't factor into the equation.

• Members

But if you don't use it, then it doesn't factor into the equation.

I went years without using my pinky, and when I tried to work it in it took me years to get comfortable with it. I use it mostly for trills, but I could probably do all that stuff with a stretch of the ring finger, too. I still can't do the four finger thing and probably never will. I don't really need to for the music I play, anyway.

• Members

I didn't know there were guitarists who don't use their pinky. I just used it when playing scales and licks. It seems natural, but since I changed my fingering on the pentatonic scale that goes:

--------------------------2-4-------------------

---------------------2-4------------------------

----------------1-4-----------------------------

-----------1-4----------------------------------

------2-4---------------------------------------

-2-4--------------------------------------------

In fact, those numbers match both the fingers I use on the fretting hand as well as the frets played. When I do this, I can feel the stretch in my hand. I figured I just needed to keep doing it until I got it right. Playing it just using the 1 and 3 fingers on my fretting hand means more hand movement, but it still works. Should I be using the pinky less?

Archived