*Sighhh* what to do.

HvyMtl9339

• Members

few months back i got a randall rm100. cool stuff. still dont a have a cab :facepalm: (i know, i know). im 17, and my personal life has been crap. girl troubles and friend {censored} (he likes her, i like you ect ect. AGAH!) and well my lifes been basically a living atreyu song ha. :facepalm: .

ive used up all my money for a cab on stupid meaningless sht and im broke and in peices. i know ill be going to college after next year, and im afraid if i dont get some sort of band started now ill never be on stage where i should be.

i want so bad for my life to be in music and playing live shows and touring and what not. more than anything, but right now everything just seems so meaningless, like the only thing that matters now is being happy with some chick or something, and my futures gonna turn out just like my parents (school, college, job, kids, die). and i dont want that. dont mean to give a sob story or some {censored} (i hate this stupid emotional crap too beilve me) , but any advice?

• Members

Also, don't get too involved with the ladies at that age. It's a headache waiting to happen.
:facepalm:

+1

Don't spend your freshman year completely drunk and chasing girls all the time like I did. My sunday mornings usually involved waking up in a different state struggling to remember the name of a girl who looked 15 pounds lighter the night before :facepalm:

• Members

Had to laugh. You don't know how lucky you are. One part of your life is ending, and that causes a lot of stress. But you're about to meet people like you've never known, play music beyond anything thought of getting into, and meet women who could be from another planet. You will be ahead of the game without a band or long distance girlfriend to maintain on holidays and weekends, 'cause they'd be gone soon anyway. Get ready to eat the beef of life, buddy. Buffet's open.

• Members

Had to laugh. You don't know how lucky you are. One part of your life is ending, and that causes a lot of stress. But you're about to meet people like you've never known, play music beyond anything thought of getting into, and meet women who could be from another planet. You will be ahead of the game without a band or long distance girlfriend to maintain on holidays and weekends, 'cause they'd be gone soon anyway. Get ready to eat the beef of life, buddy. Buffet's open.

om nom nom nom

• Members

good stuff here.

• Members

Ya, sell the amp, buy a good combo. If you listen to emotional-hotlicks-neo hairband {censored}tard metal, stop now. Download some "High on Fire" or some other good warrior metal that doesnt involve mascara and peoples feelings. Better yet, branch out, check out music like Neurosis and the Melvins, maybe some Tool. The sensitive man bull{censored} has to stop. Never let them see you cry damn it! Believe me you are not running out of time. Before you can speak, you had better have something worthwhile to say, and that comes from knowledge and a variety of real life experience. I cant think of many Maestros completing their best work in their late teens.

• Members

Ya, sell the amp, buy a good combo. If you listen to emotional-hotlicks-neo hairband {censored}tard metal, stop now. Download some "High on Fire" or some other good warrior metal that doesnt involve mascara and peoples feelings. Better yet, branch out, check out music like Neurosis and the Melvins, maybe some Tool. The sensitive man bull{censored} has to stop. Never let them see you cry damn it! Believe me you are not running out of time. Before you can speak, you had better have something worthwhile to say, and that comes from knowledge and a variety of real life experience. I cant think of many Maestros completing their best work in their late teens.

yeah i guess thats true. and no i {censored}ing hate atreyu and the whole broken hearted metal {censored}. im into trivium, COB, arch enemy, pantera, parkway drive kinda stuff.

• Members

+1

Don't spend your freshman year completely drunk and chasing girls all the time like I did. My sunday mornings usually involved waking up in a different state struggling to remember the name of a girl who looked 15 pounds lighter the night before
:facepalm:

LOL! That made my night. Thank you for the laugh!

• Members

OK, "Voice of Reason" chiming in.

You're 17. You're looking at your future, college, music, trying to keep playing music, trying NOT to end up a boring old fart, thinking about getting laid, all that jazz.

But the way things are headed with the economy and with international competition for jobs, you might be lucky to do the boring old "college, job, kids, die" routine that you're dissing your parents about. College ain't no guarantee of a job. There are thousands of kids living with their parents right now who finished college and can't find a job. That kid who grew up in India without all of the middle class American stuff can't WAIT to maybe have a chance to take that job you don't want, and he'll bust his ass to keep it. If you snooze, you may end up the janitor at the elementary school. Or the 42 year old guy who works in audio at Best Buy. I'm most likely going to hell for those last two sentences. I feel guilty, I really do. We need custodians. It's not my place to diss anyone.

Your attitudes between now and the time you're 27 are going to change quite a bit. If you don't believe me, ask anyone over 30. Ask anyone over 40, and almost everyone will tell you "I didn't know sh*t when I was 17." Don't take that as an insult, because...

College can be the most fun time of your LIFE. Ask anyone over 40 THAT question, and you'll get the same response... that nostalgic look in their eyes, that little smile... yeah, college can definitely be the funnest time of your life. For me, it was... well, never mind all the stuff I did in college. Let's just say I had extreme amounts of fun.

But the number of people your age who don't know what they want to do with their life is staggering.

My suggestion is to be smart, and have it ALL. You can play in a band, be onstage, rock out, get chicks, go to class, get a degree in a field that someone actually values, get a job, and buy whatever the hell gear you WANT. You can do it all. But you have to find your own path. Just try to keep an open mind. Don't define success as touring, for example. Don't make judgments about the wife/kids route. You're too young. You're going to be a somewhat different person 10 years from now. You'll be listening to music you would have made fun of. You'll be doing things you would have mocked. You'll also have more self confidence and be more self assured. I've been 17, 27, and 37. And 37 was best, pound for pound.

But 20 was the most fun.

If there's one thing that is true, it's that you can't accurately predict your future self. I assumed that by my age I'd be listening to classical music and jazz. Wrong.

Good Lord I'm sounding like your DAD. I'm old enough to be your dad, actually. But my son is only 8. That's another tip - when you DO get married, marry someone much YOUNGER. Trust me.

Oh yeah... and buy a combo amp. And practice like HELL. No pain no gain. And use protection or you're a total dumb ass. And here's 20 bucks for the movies. Have a good time and be home by midnight. :)

• Members

You're 17. You're looking at your future, college, music, trying to keep playing music, trying NOT to end up a boring old fart, thinking about getting laid, all that jazz.

But the way things are headed with the economy and with international competition for jobs, you might be lucky to do the boring old "college, job, kids, die" routine that you're dissing your parents about. College ain't no guarantee of a job. There are thousands of kids living with their parents right now who finished college and can't find a job. That kid who grew up in India without all of the middle class American stuff can't WAIT to maybe have a chance to take that job you don't want, and he'll bust his ass to keep it. If you snooze, you may end up the janitor at the elementary school. Or the 42 year old guy who works in audio at Best Buy. I'm most likely going to hell for those last two sentences. I feel guilty, I really do. We need custodians. It's not my place to diss anyone.

Your attitudes between now and the time you're 27 are going to change quite a bit. If you don't believe me, ask anyone over 30. Ask anyone over 40, and almost everyone will tell you "I didn't know sh*t when I was 17." Don't take that as an insult, because...

College can be the most fun time of your LIFE. Ask anyone over 40 THAT question, and you'll get the same response... that nostalgic look in their eyes, that little smile... yeah, college can definitely be the funnest time of your life. For me, it was... well, never mind all the stuff I did in college. Let's just say I had extreme amounts of fun.

But the number of people your age who don't know what they want to do with their life is staggering.

My suggestion is to be smart, and have it ALL. You can play in a band, be onstage, rock out, get chicks, go to class, get a degree in a field that someone actually values, get a job, and buy whatever the hell gear you WANT. You can do it all. But you have to find your own path. Just try to keep an open mind. Don't define success as touring, for example. Don't make judgments about the wife/kids route. You're too young. You're going to be a somewhat different person 10 years from now. You'll be listening to music you would have made fun of. You'll be doing things you would have mocked. You'll also have more self confidence and be more self assured. I've been 17, 27, and 37. And 37 was best, pound for pound.

But 20 was the most fun.

If there's one thing that is true, it's that you can't accurately predict your future self. I assumed that by my age I'd be listening to classical music and jazz. Wrong.

Good Lord I'm sounding like your DAD. I'm old enough to be your dad, actually. But my son is only 8. That's another tip - when you DO get married, marry someone much YOUNGER. Trust me.

Oh yeah... and buy a combo amp. And practice like HELL. No pain no gain. And use protection or you're a total dumb ass. And here's 20 bucks for the movies. Have a good time and be home by midnight.
:)

Im 21 and I feel like in the last year I have learned more from you and Bluestrat than anybody else except for my Dad and guitar instructor.

• Members

But 20 was the most fun.

Oh yeah... and buy a combo amp. And practice like HELL. No pain no gain. And use protection or you're a total dumb ass. And here's 20 bucks for the movies. Have a good time and be home by midnight.
:)

thanks dad. but seriously that does help. :thu:

• Members

Im 21 and I feel like in the last year I have learned more from you and Bluestrat than anybody else except for my Dad and guitar instructor.

Wow. I really appreciate that and I'm sure so does BlueStrat. We both love to talk about music and we both love music. People don't always agree with us and we don't always agree with each other, but that's what forums are for. When I was 21, nobody told me {censored}. And there was no Internet to talk to other people. If I can help someone avoid a landmine, it's worth it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Buy an amp yet? There are plenty of great combos with plenty of power in the $500 to $1k range. Leave the girls alone and the right one will often find YOU. Just think -- what if a girl wanted to be with you because she liked who you are and how you act without you even trying? Worked for me.

• Members

At 17, I was in my third go-nowhere band, pining for a girl, and trying to plot out my pending college life. A few girls and guitars later, with a degree in hand, I found a job and yet another band. The degree and job looked good enough on paper to get me a better job elsewhere, the next few women were more trouble than they were worth, and the band stalled out before the first gig or demo.

But with the security of the new and better job, I was more motivated in other areas of life. I started a band of my own with much more focus than when I was a "recruit" for someone else's project. I met a woman who shared my musical interests and wasn't caught up in the high school/college mindset. All that by 23, and I firmly believe that if anyone one of those three aspects (work, music or relationship) is on track, the other two can often fall into place with a little dedication and motivation. The economy being what it is, it's probably best to focus on your education as much as possible, keeping your musical chops sufficiently polished while in school, and worrying about girls when the rest has already come together.

• Members

Buy an amp yet? There are plenty of great combos with plenty of power in the $500 to $1k range. Leave the girls alone and the right one will often find YOU. Just think -- what if a girl wanted to be with you because she liked who you are and how you act without you even trying? Worked for me.

i was gonna get a 5150 combo but my friend told me that they sold HRRIBLE. i don tknow why they woud though. i thought i had the right girl, but turns out it was b.s. but your right the right girl did find me. and likes me the way i am,

• Members

At 17, I was in my third go-nowhere band, pining for a girl, and trying to plot out my pending college life. A few girls and guitars later, with a degree in hand, I found a job and yet another band. The degree and job looked good enough on paper to get me a better job elsewhere, the next few women were more trouble than they were worth, and the band stalled out before the first gig or demo.

But with the security of the new and better job, I was more motivated in other areas of life. I started a band of my own with much more focus than when I was a "recruit" for someone else's project. I met a woman who shared my musical interests and wasn't caught up in the high school/college mindset. All that by 23, and I firmly believe that if anyone one of those three aspects (work, music or relationship) is on track, the other two can often fall into place with a little dedication and motivation. The economy being what it is, it's probably best to focus on your education as much as possible, keeping your musical chops sufficiently polished while in school, and worrying about girls when the rest has already come together.

thats really good advice actually, thank you. im trying my hardest at my stupid private school, but i practice a heck of a lot. depression really sucks but things are looking better. besides i heard the music scene at KU is pretty good?

Archived