Anyone know anything about Fernandes Strats?

fuzztone

• Members

All I know is that The Edge uses the versions with the built-in sustainers for live performances of "With Or Without You."

is there a brand of guitar the Edge DOESN`T play?

The Billy Joe Armstrong...is that his name?... from Green Day strat is listed as being the RST-80 `54, one of the 1980s models.

• Members

I have that exact guitar. I bought it new as a b stock for 300. It had a very tiny chip in the paint around the neck. BUY IT! It is a great guitar. I get compliments all the time every time I take it out. I bought it to modify. I ended up fralin pickups in it and the middle knob has a torres varitone switch that is a 5 way switch that has different values of resisters. with that you essentially get 25 different possible tones. It is an LE-2 model. Basswood body. Fernandes made all the fender reissues at the time that was made and it is very much like a good fender. I have had mine for maybe 10 years or so and its definitely a keeper. Get it you wont be sorry ...itsa great looking and playing guitar and worth the money.

• Members

I have that exact guitar. I bought it new as a b stock for 300. It had a very tiny chip in the paint around the neck. BUY IT! It is a great guitar. I get compliments all the time every time I take it out. I bought it to modify. I ended up fralin pickups in it and the middle knob has a torres varitone switch that is a 5 way switch that has different values of resisters. with that you essentially get 25 different possible tones. It is an LE-2 model. Basswood body. Fernandes made all the fender reissues at the time that was made and it is very much like a good fender. I have had mine for maybe 10 years or so and its definitely a keeper. Get it you wont be sorry ...itsa great looking and playing guitar and worth the money.

Thanks alot for the info.The mods you did sound really cool!I'll have to look into that torres varitone switch.This guitar must be from the same batch as yours.Jim Harm's,the guy who owns the shop(My Music Store)told me he sold this guitar in new in 1999.The guy he sold it to traded it in for another guitar last Friday I think.It looks pretty clean,I have the trem arm too but I took it off.

• Members

I own the neck off of an LE-2, the first headstock revision (with the hook that could be sanded off into a perfect fender shape). One chunk of maple with a very nice skunk stripe. Right now it's on my Nashville Strat (strat body, tele bridge and pickups with strat single coil in mid). It's an awesome neck. If I'm not mistaken that is the headstock that they switched to after fender complained that there revised headstock was still too close to the fender shape.

My neck has the same logo and can be seen in a 1985 catalog.

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

I believe it orignally had Kluson Deluxe tuners on it. I got the neck off of my first guitar which was a partscaster of some sorts, so I can't really tell you about the rest of the guitar, but the neck is amazing.

• Members

Thanks for the posts guys,the store owner let me take it home for the weekend but I think I am going to keep it.The gold finish really looks spectacular and it sounds great.From what I could find out,this model is a LE-2 G made in 1998(the store owner sold it new in 1999).I really like the neck,it's very similar to the neck of the Fender 62 RI strat(except for the headstock).

100_3198_edited.jpg

100_3202_edited.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3191_edited.jpg

100_3200.jpg

2m44mxt.jpg

I just scanned that off of a old issue of Guitar Extra!

• Members

I had a strat headstock MIJ revival for a while, did some research when I sold it. Turned out that the post strat headstock, including the transitional revival with the notch, had basswood bodies. The early strat headstock revival versions were swamp ash or alder. IMO I wouldn

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I'm not too familiar with the later models but it looks to me like you got a really good one. I have an rst 60-66 and I can't even find a picture of that anywhere. The only unfortunate part of my situation is that my friend replaced the neck with a Warmoth neck.  Thus destroying the original state of the guitar and unfortunately it's value. Please like a mother though!

Archived