Anyone know anything about Fernandes Strats?

fuzztone

• Members

I saw a Made in Japan Fernandes Stratocaster my local store.They want $320 for it(comes with a nice padded gigbag).It is in excellent almost new condtion (9.9) It has a sparkly gold finish and gold hardware and looks pretty spectacular.It looks like a copy of a Fender 62 Stratocaster.I think it was made around 1990.Anyone know any thing about these guitars? Any info would be appreciated.

• Members

This one looks like Bob Dylan's Gold Lame Strat(except it has gold hardware):

62_dylan_gold_strat.jpg

1962 Fender Stratocaster

"Bob Dylan's gold lame Strat. ohsc/ex

Previously owned by Bob Dylan, and sent by him in 1991 via the late Cesar Diaz, the famous amplifier builder who also played in Bob's band in the early 90's, to Fender for the gold sparkle finish. Comes with a copy of the original Fender work order via John Grunder of the Fender Custom Shop, addressed to "Cesar Diaz c/o Bob Dylan", and stating serial number of the guitar, with "Refinish to gold sparkle per Bob's specification". Also comes with letter signed by Cesar Diaz on his stationery stating that the guitar, by serial number, belonged to and was given to him by Bob Dylan. Has original 1962 brown Tolex hard shell case

Price: $ 75,000.00"

• Members

I've done a bit of research about the 80's revival series. They get a lot of props from people on message boards who have them. Does yours say revival? I'm not really sure about quality in the 90's though.

Thing is fernandes probably released a bunch of models in different price points so you'd really have to get more info.

My guess is it would be an excellent mid range strat. Comparable to say mid range tokai's and greco's. And 320 sounds like a decent price. You wouldn't get the comparable tokai or greco for that price anymore.

Maybe Zenbu might know a bit more.....I think he has a fernandes revival strat.

• Members

I saw a Made in Japan Fernandes Stratocaster my local store.They want $320 for it(comes with a nice padded gigbag).It is in excellent almost new condtion (9.9) It has a sparkly gold finish and gold hardware and looks pretty spectacular.It looks like a copy of a Fender 62 Stratocaster.I think it was made around 1990.Anyone know any thing about these guitars? Any info would be appreciated.

That is a good deal; buy it now...

• Members

I have a dragonfly pro I bot from the music store where I worked. It was the best playing guitar in the store. Fretwork is perfect. The fact it had a sustainer was only a bonus.

As someone said the pricepoints vary but fernandes MIJ are very well respected guitars.

Burny is the gibson fender style branch of fernandes and make some great guitars. The 70's revivals are getting expensive

• Members

I've got 2 myself. They're fine guitars. I replaced the neck on the one in my avatar because it had very small frets, but it was well made. I think the guy above me got his prices skewed a bit also. The ones with the actual Fender shaped headstock are lawsuit era models, and they fetch much higher than stated. So do the non lawsuit era ones, but not quite as much. I would say $400.00 is common for a well taken care of guitar.

• Members

Thanks for the posts.This is it,sorry for the bad pics.I had to shoot it in the dark.It has the the changed headstock(90's?)

100_3183_edited.jpg

100_3187_edited.jpg

100_3171_edited.jpg

100_3177_edited.jpg

100_3169_edited.jpg

100_3176_edited.jpg

I bought one used in 92, and it has the same "electric sound research group" on the headstock. Unfortunately, they're funny with serial numbers, and I couldn't find one anywhere on the guitar. I'd guess it to be mid to late 80's to very early 90's. They stopped putting out strats in the early to mid 90's.

• Members

I bought one used in 92, and it has the same "electric sound research group" on the headstock. Unfortunately, they're funny with serial numbers, and I couldn't find one anywhere on the guitar. I'd guess it to be mid to late 80's to very early 90's. They stopped putting out strats in the early to mid 90's.

Thanks for the post.The guy who owns the store said that they came with the serial number on a paper sticker,but this one doesn't have the sticker.It got pulled off or fell off.

• Members

Thanks for the posts guys,the store owner let me take it home for the weekend but I think I am going to keep it.The gold finish really looks spectacular and it sounds great.From what I could find out,this model is a LE-2 G made in 1998(the store owner sold it new in 1999).I really like the neck,it's very similar to the neck of the Fender 62 RI strat(except for the headstock).

100_3198_edited.jpg

100_3202_edited.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3191_edited.jpg

100_3200.jpg

• Members

MIJ Fernandes' rival MIJ Strats for build quality, components, tone, and playability.

I have a MIJ Fernandes Jazz bass and a MIJ Fernandes Tele... both are lovely.

I agree and a friend of mine who owns a Ma-Pa small music shp has been using an older 80's now for years. He added Graftech saddles and Boutique pups but that about it.

• Members

Made in Japan Fernandes strats are great guitars, but $350 is too much. You should be able to find them for under $300 pretty easily. The revivals with the strat headstock are cool, but the Fernandes heads are great guitars and a little less money.

Thanks for the post.So you think I shouldn't buy it for $320 with a gigbag ?How much do you think I could find a gold one like this for on Ebay?

100_3198_edited.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3202_edited.jpg

• Members

I wonder if you`ve taken the pickguard off yet, or looked in the neck pocket for markings of some kind, same thing I suggested in the other thread on this guitar at another site. It`s the first thing I do every time I get a used MIJ guitar, firstly to clean it and to take pics of the insides in case I ever resell it, buyers generally want as much info as a seller can provide. Otherwise you get people guessing all over the map...stopped making strats? Not that I`m aware of `cause they`re still listed in my catalogs going back to 1995. That altered headstock appears in that catalog with the gold colored headstock logo but not that model, which may have been an export so it probably wouldn`t be in domestic catalogs. The answeres you want may be in the pocket or cavities of the guitar, might be worth taking a few minutes to look.

Not all Revivals were of the same level of quality, the higher up in the pecking order the better the wood and parts. My Japan Vintage series of books show 80s Fernandes strats with neckplate serials with the first digit being the year, the letter of the alphabet being the month...A=January etc etc. By sometime in the 90s the altered headstock showed up, and those came with a large silver/white sticker on the back of the headstock with the serial, easily removed or lost. There may be some hints under the pick-ups too...there are articles on p`ups in my books as well. Theres a chance you`ll never be 100% certain which model it is unless somebody else has an identical guitar, but p`ups changed over the years, pots may have a date on them too, what kind os switch does it have...plastic or steel? Every bit of info helps.

Archived