Best way to protect a signature on guitar finish?

keNz

• Members

I'm planning on getting some friends to sign a DIY guitar of mine (as a memento) and was wondering what the best way is to protect the signatures such that they won't fade away? Or, is there something better to sign with besides a felt tipped permanent marker? The finish is polyurethane, btw. Thanks.

• Members

or use some clear contact paper. You can get rolls of it and then cut it to the shape of the guitar body. Are you going to cover the whole top of the body with the signatures?

Remove the pickguard and have them sign the pickguard then you can cover it with the film then cut around the edges so that there is no seam from the film.

• Members

Originally posted by Junkhead

clear coat the guitar again over the signatures = permanent

Yup. This would be the best way. Packing tape or other such measures would end up making things worse later on. The packing tape or contact paper could start to get brittle over time and peel off, taking the signatures with them and leaving a nasty mess behind.

Definately put a few clear coats over it, or get someone to do it for you....

• Members

+1 clear coat.

You might want to test the particular clear coat and marker combination out first.

Almost all sprayable paints contain a lot of solvent. The solvent evaporates away and the paint dries.

The solvent might start the ink from the pen dissolving before it's had time to evaporate away.

It's more likely that it won't but I'd give it a test on something just in case. You don't want to end up clear coating unreadable ink smears onto your guitar! :)

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi. I am about to be in the same situation.

I am going to get my jackson rr5 signed in silver sharpie, and apparently the rr5 also has a polyurethane finish.

Can you guys tell me exactly what you meant be 'clear coat'? What precise product should I get (e.g. from ebay UK), and how should I apply it?

Also, a question to the thread starter. Did you get round to clear coating it, and how did it work out?

Many thanks to all you guys in advance!

• Members

Some people should try things before giving their advice. They may save someone from destroying a famous signature some day like I've seen others do in the past.

Clear coat will make the marker run and get blurry, if not completely melt away. Any kind of clear coat on a poly guitar will have to be poly to stick properly. The driers will destroy the marker. Same with laquer. The laquer thinner is whats in an indelable marker. The second you hit it with a spray the signatures will wash/melt away.

I suggest you search for a water soluable acrylic spray that doesnt use alcohol or petroleum of any kind to dry. Then test it on a simular poly surface first. Chances are it wont stick to poly anyway so the results will be useless to begin with.

• Members

+1 clear coat.

You might want to test the particular clear coat and marker combination out first.

Almost all sprayable paints contain a lot of solvent. The solvent evaporates away and the paint dries.

The solvent might start the ink from the pen dissolving before it's had time to evaporate away.

It's more likely that it won't but I'd give it a test on something just in case. You don't want to end up clear coating unreadable ink smears onto your guitar!
:)

I have a signed guitar the previous owner tried spraying clear coat over the sig... and it desolved.

• Members

Ok guys, I managed to do it. The pics are the test. I haven't got it signed yet but that shouldn't be a problem.

I know a lot of you reading will be experts and know the full ins and outs of guitars, and think this is obvious or will ruin the resale value etc but please don't slate me too much and give some allowance to the n00bs and first timers like me out there! Thanks! :)

Here is a mini guide for the n00b like me that doesn't want to pay lots of money or go hardcore stripping it down:

You will need:

a guitar finished in polyurethane, not lacquer. (Apparently guitars come in either of these 2 finishes and I was advised that my brand, Jackson, are all poly finished.) If you have a lacquer guitar, I am not sure that this will work!

my.php?image=16112008063mi6.jpg

and you will also need the following:

a pen to test/give to people to sign the guitar with/draw on, I used a silver metallic sharpie, and please note that other types of pen may give various other effects.

clear polyurethane gloss finish, or perhaps matte or double gloss depending on the colour of your guitar.

A thin paint brush. Personally I originally tried using clear nail varnish which dissolved the sharpie ink near instantly, even after letting the ink dry for an hour, so I washed the nail varnish brush and used that, as it was thin.

my.php?image=dsc4274xm0.jpg

1: Clean the guitar up with some polish.

2: Carefully write/draw on/let a celebrity abuse the guitar with the pen.

3: As soon as you can, open the poly tin, and stir it a little. You will notice it is a little yellow, but that will not show unless you for some strange reason want to have a layer of varnish inches thick on your guitar! ;)

4: At this point, I used a rocket pump to blow any dust that had picked up off the guitar. This isn't totally necessary, but you can't wipe the guitar with the ink on it unprotected. You will very likely smudge it.

5: Using the thin brush, CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY 'paint/varnish' over the ink, in as thin a layer as you can, but without it being so thin that it doesn't cover or realistically protect it.

6: Lay flat and let dry for 2-8 hours, depending on humidity. Try not to let dust settle on it.

7: (Optional) You can, if you are VERY careful and have the judgement and hands of a surgeon, sand down any excessively thick layers, and then give the varnish a second coat, and allow to dry again etc, (or just sand it for smoothness) for a perfect long lasting finish.

This is what I ended up with. I wrote a little J for Jackson by the strap holder so that it is concealed when a strap is on.

my.php?image=dsc4272ek9.jpg

Have fun, kids!:thu:

• Members

Any kind of clear coat on a poly guitar will have to be poly to stick properly. The driers will destroy the marker. Same with laquer. The laquer thinner is whats in an indelable marker. The second you hit it with a spray the signatures will wash/melt away.

First part is not true. I've sprayed lacquer over poly many times and it sticks just fine. Second part is half true. You spray multiple light coats letting each one dry before recoating. If you just flood the finish on in a heavy coat, yes it will melt the signature. It's no different than lacquer coating a waterslide decal. If you flood (wet) coat it, the decal will melt or lift.

• Members

Besides the issues of solvents dissolving or blurring the signatures (which they most definitely would, on a standard Sharpie), there's the fact that those good old reliable, used everywhere Sharpies are not light fast. In time the black will fade away, even if it doesn't rub away.

You'd really want to have people sign using something that's pigment based - the silver sharpies, or paint pens.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived