Luthier question, how to repair cracked poly finish?

HanSolo

• Members

I am looking at used guitar to buy that has a crack/split in the poly finish. Is it possible to fill with lacquer or would crazy glue work better?

I am thinking that the crazy glue would fill and repair the split and could be sanded and buffed out. I have filled deep scratches in lacquer with clear lacquer and successfuly sanded and buffed the finish out to be unnoticable.

Is that a viable rpepair method with a polyurethane finish using crazy glue?

• Members

i used ca glue recently to repair a deep ding on the neck of a polyurethane finished neck. it buffed out fine and you cannot spot the repair. dunno if it would leach into a crack enough to help you tho.

Cool! good to know. The gel probably wouldn't, but the regular CA glue has a pretty low surface tension. I say go for it!

• Members

CA drop fill method should work and dry clear. I did a ding repair on my Yamaha SBG1200 but it was a large ding (almost an inch in diameter).

I had to do multiple applications to build up the finish to where it was slightly higher than the original finish. Even though I evened the repair and wet sanded it flush, you can spot the repair so your results may vary depending on the size of the crack.

If it's a hairline crack I would expect that you could repair it clean. Good luck.

Archived