Sign in to follow this  
InnerVision

Does the humbucker In a MIM HSS Strat Split in the second position?

I just got an '08 MIM Standard HSS Strat. Too me, it sounds like when you move the selector switch to use the bridge and the middle pickup, that it splits the bridge hum..

I just need someone to verify this.

Most do. I'd rather have a switch for the split personally. Then you have the option of the bridge alone in split mode as well.

Cool. So this means that I can swap it out for a new invader I just got without having to buy some sort of megaswitch from stewmac..

I wonder how the invader will sound split with the middle compared to how it sounds stock.??

My Squier fat strat doesnt, but the easiest way to check is get a screwdriver and lightly tap the pole pieces while its plugged in. If the coil is active it'll make a noise.

My Squier fat strat doesnt, but the easiest way to check is get a screwdriver and lightly tap the pole pieces while its plugged in. If the coil is active it'll make a noise.

So you get no quack with the middle and bridge pickups? Seems like a bit of a waste.

So you get no quack with the middle and bridge pickups? Seems like a bit of a waste.

Nope, both the HB and the middle single coil were active and it sounded like an extremly bright single coil. I even tried putting a p-90 in to get some quack but alas this is the brightest guitar in the history of mankind.

Unfortunatly i found 1 good sound out of the middle p-up thru a Red Bear that i cant replicate in everything else, so im trying to find the darkest p'ups i can find to balance it out. Otherwise id rip out all the electronics and start over.

I wired mine with a master tone for all pickups, and the other tone nob as a variable split on the humbucker. It still quacks on mid/bridge with the full humbucker, it's just a darker quack.

I had a Squier FSR HSS and it quacked like a duck. I assumed the pickup was coil tapped for the mixed positions by the way it sounded. The output level was the same at all settings until you switched to bridge only, so that would indicate it was coil tapped for 2&4 and full humbucking on the bridge only.

I have a Highway One HSS, and its kinda noisey (it hums like it would when I'm on an individual single coil pickup) while in position 4 (bridge and middle). Does this mean its not splitting?