Synyster Gates vs John Frusciante

FloridaSeagull

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You don't hear much about him on this forum because most of us aren't familiar with his music. All I know is that he has a sig guitar which looks like something a 5-year old boy would use to try to scare his mother. Ya know, kinda like putting a towel around your neck and pretending you're Dracula.

• Members

All that technical ability and no one ever told Syn you should feel what you play. There is real expression and dynamic to Frusicante's playing, making him the better musician, IMO.

EDIT: Plus the songs. Do you really think there's an A7X song that'll be remembered as long or as fondly in 20 years as Under the Bridge?

• Members

this is what i was trying to tell them...JF puts feeling into his music where as it seems like SG just plays as fast as possible.

If your're going for achievement guitarism, I guess SG takes the cake on that one. JF is much more listenable, IMO. (I'm rather biased, though, I'm a huge RCHP fan :lol: )

• Members

i dont know what to tell them

In my experience, there isn't much you can tell them. I've had some great friends that I've had this same argument with. I can't understand the lack of respect for feel in guitar playing of some people. They want to ignore listenability in favor of how many notes can be fit in each measure. It's mind boggling to me...

• Members

I've heard some of the new Avenged Sevenfold songs on while at the gym and frankly those solos are a total joke. He's just playing as fast as possible, there's very little melody or phrasing. It's the definition of wanking. As far as technical or mechanical ability, Gates is better, but Frusciante is a much better songwriter and arranger with a great sense of pop melody and harmony. Also an underrated backup singer with a very distinct voice.

Having listened to some older Avenged stuff, some of his solos on their earlier albums were pretty good. More melodic stuff combined with the sweeping. The latest ones I've heard are just BLAH.

• Members

one of there other arguments was that the AX7 songs were alot better..that really confused me

So which ones will be remembered in 20 - 30 years? That would be my question. I would imagine that A7X will be all but forgotten in another 5 - 7 years. Under the Bridge and Californication will still be on the radio. I would wager a good amount of money (if I had it lol) that RHCP will be one of the bands from my (ours maybe? I don't know how old you are) to make it into 'classic rock' rotation when I'm my parents age. A7X will be like many of the bands from the 60's and 70's that people have by and large forgotten about. Do these people think that A7X will stand the test of time?

• Members

Frusciante. Even if the Chili's stuff isn't your bag he's got plenty of solo albums in alot of different styles that might apeal.

One genre he does not put into his music is nu-play-as-fast-as-you-can-whist-trying-to-impress-13-year-olds-metal, so you may have to turn to Synester for that.

• Members

These are two completely different styles of music. It's kinda hard to compare the two. Almost like asking who is better, Vai or SRV?

This Gates dude has a stupid name...so he fails on that premise alone. I never heard of him before either, I had to look him up.

They're both decent players.

• Members

These are two completely different styles of music. It's kinda hard to compare the two. Almost like asking who is better, Vai or SRV?

This Gates dude has a stupid name
...so he fails on that premise alone. I never heard of him before either, I had to look him up.

They're both decent players.

But he DID start up Microsoft and create the most prevalent computer interface of all time.

Archived