Mike Campbell plays a cheap NCAA Epi Les Paul?

tlbonehead

• Members

I was watching the TP 30th Anniversary concert DVD made in Gainesville and he used a Florida Gators el-cheapo single pickup Epi for a few songs. Sounded killer. Different pickup for sure, probably totally gutted. TP used a single pickup Tele for a couple songs too. What model is that?

• Members

Petty and Campbell bought some gear from a friend of mine who used to be a big vintage dealer here in Austin

they came over to his house on Halloween night one year to check out and purchase the stuff

when he answered the door, Ron said "wow - great masks guys, you look just like em"

they laughed and got him high, then bought some expensive old {censored}

then I guess they went somewhere else, Ron just stopped the story after they left

{censored}er

• Members

That Gator guitar had to have at least new tuners. The stock pup is just ok. I have the Illinois one that I got for 99.00 and that POS won't stay in tune. The peg holes are like 9mm or some odd size that I can't find decent replacement tuners without reaming the peg holes.

Someday I will upgrade the pup and tuners. It's not a priority since I really bought it for wall candy

• Members

That Gator guitar had to have at least new tuners. The stock pup is just ok. I have the Illinois one that I got for 99.00 and that POS won't stay in tune. The peg holes are like 9mm or some odd size that I can't find decent replacement tuners without reaming the peg holes.

Someday I will upgrade the pup and tuners. It's not a priority since I really bought it for wall candy

It had a nickle/chrome covered HB. I think stock is uncovered, right? I'm sure it had different tuners too. I've played the regular cheapie bolt-on models and the tuners are BAD!

• Members

It had a nickle/chrome covered HB. I think stock is uncovered, right? I'm sure it had different tuners too. I've played the regular cheapie bolt-on models and the tuners are BAD!

The stock ones have a chrome cover. I've had some real fun with mine. Like someone else mentioned, I bought mine (Hook 'em Horns) for wall candy, so any playing fun I have with it is a bonus. I use mine with my GuitarPort and leave it near the computer. It has a slight crack where the headstock is attached (neck is painted black), which has been there since day one. I decided to just let it go and see how it did over the next month-- it has been fine ever since. No tuning issues either.

Horns1.jpg

• Members

What brand of lipstick did you put in the neck? How hot is it? Tone?

its a GFS and its not very hot and not as jangly as I thought it was going to be but it sounds ok for blues or chording. Im going to replace the pots though and maybe that will help:confused:

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 1/4/2009 at 11:51 AM, tlbonehead said:
Mike Campbell can make any guitar sound good.

And he did. It was a bolt-on too. I saw that once when he was taking it off. Some sweet guitars in that DVD! They both had their own Vox Teardrops.

It's not what's under the hood, it's who's behind the wheel that really matters. Mike Campbell - legendary guitar slinger!

On 1/4/2009 at 11:52 AM, ten56gibby said:

The Gators guitar, eh? Well Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers ARE from Tallahassee....

Eeeh, try again! Tom & Benmont were born and raised in Gainesville. Mike was from Panama City FL.

• Members
4 hours ago, ChelseaFCblues said:

It's not what's under the hood, it's who's behind the wheel that really matters. Mike Campbell - legendary guitar slinger!

Eeeh, try again! Tom & Benmont were born and raised in Gainesville. Mike was from Panama City FL.

Dude. It's a 10 year thread. Who cares?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a shredder type of guitarist and Mike Campbell sure plays great for the song and knows how to deliver the proper nuance for the song, were as guys like me, would probably over think and over do things. Mike Campbell made a great impression on me, just as much as Malmsteen, Rhoads, EVH,  Dimebag Daryl, Vai or Satriani.

Archived