Rare NGD! '79 Gretsch Committee

MisterTV

• Members

I've been GASing a lot lately for affordable, vintage American-made guitars, so I couldn't resist when this one popped up on my local craigslist. Behold the much maligned and horribly named "Committee", in all of its walnut splendor!!

I took these pics as soon as I got home. The guitar is pretty dirty, smells like an ashtray and is in desperate need of a set up. The action gets pretty high as you go up the neck, and I'm hoping the fix is a simple truss rod tweak and saddle height adjustment.

I paid $650 for it, which seems to be in the middle range of what these oddballs go for lately. I've seen worse ones go for more and better ones go for less, but who knows when another one would have come up for sale? I mean, c'mon guys, I HAD to get it, right? :)

I'm dropping it off at my tech today to bring back to life... fingers crossed.

Committeefull.jpg

committeeback.jpg

committeebody.jpg

• Members

Ive wanted one of those for years.

Congrats on the score.

Same here. Congrats!

So..how much she weigh? I've never had the pleasure to play one.

Here's her little sister...my TK300 (another oft maligned Baldwin era Gretsch):

1507150683_b33b2eeec0_o.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the comments. I was feeling a little unsure right after picking it up. The seller lived an hour away, so I kind of committed to buying beforehand... I didn't want to spend that kind of time just to "kick the tires."

• Members

Cool axe!!!! I've got a circa-1979 Gretsch "Beast" with near-identical body & neck-through--It was my main axe for about 10 years before I got into Teles. One of the best, slimmest, & fastest necks I've ever played. Good score. Seldom will you see one of these, & it looks like yours is in good shape. A Gretsch "idiosyncracy:" To adjust the truss rod, you take off the "button" on the neck heel and use a special tool...pop off that button and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Members

A Gretsch "idiosyncracy:" To adjust the truss rod, you take off the "button" on the neck heel and use a special tool...pop off that button and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, I did notice that odd placement - are all Gretsches like this?

I also was on the lookout for a "Beast" and probably would have snatched one up if it became available before this!

• Members

Yes, I did notice that odd placement - are all Gretsches like this?

I also was on the lookout for a "Beast" and probably would have snatched one up if it became available before this!

Can't speak for "all" Gretsches, but I know that I've never seen anything like that on any other guitar. I got mine used so it didn't come with the tool; I've used needlenose pliers to adjust mine & haven't adjusted it in years. You could probably "fake" that tool by just cutting a slot in the threaded end of a large bolt and then using a socket wrench to turn it.........

BTW, I got my Beast at a pawnshop that was going out of business. A hundred and forty bucks. Eat your heart out.

• 11 years later...

Archived