Tone of Spalted Maple vs. Regular Maple?

CenturyStanding

• Members

Spalted maple tops seem to be a very big trend these days, as they are very striking and completely unique from guitar to guitar. I've seen this wood used on custom shop instruments for several years now and I'm even starting to see it on production instruments (Spalted Tele, Spalted ESP Explorer, etc.).

That being said, does spalted maple sound the same as regular maple? I know most of the bright, sustaining characteristics of maple come from the fact that it is a very dense, hard and heavy wood. However, I've read several times now that because of the fungal deterioration makes it spalted, the wood is actually extremely soft and porous. Does this mean that is sounds warmer as a topwood than regular maple? I can't for the life of me find a tonal description of spalted maple anywhere, just pictures and descriptions of it's physical properties.

Any info you guys have would be great. Thanks.

• Members

Spalted maple is a dead maple tree that's been eaten some by fungus. I really can't be sure of this, but I'd imagine the reason someone would choose a spalted piece over a regular maple piece as a top is purely for aesthetic value. A spalted piece would have a tad less weight, maybe, only because of the veins running through it, but not enough to make a tonal difference.

As a top, i can't see it being any warmer or brighter than its previously living counterpart. Build a whole body out of spalted and you may find different results.

• Members

Spalted maple is a dead maple tree that's been eaten some by fungus. I really can't be sure of this, but I'd imagine the reason someone would choose a spalted piece over a regular maple piece as a top is purely for aesthetic value. A spalted piece would have a
tad
less weight, maybe, only because of the veins running through it, but not enough to make a tonal difference.

As a top, i can't see it being any warmer or brighter than its previously living counterpart. Build a whole body out of spalted and you may find different results.

This. Also, yes Spalted is usually a vaneer. I have guitars with both and believe me you're going to notice a bigger tonal difference from different pickups.

• Members

In the guitars listed in the OP, the maple is nothing more than a veneer and won't contribute anything significant to the tone. Even the common 1/8" bent top won't, it's for cosmetic purposes.

Otherwise, it would be very hard to determine the differences between spalted, figured or plain maple considering the vast tonal differences between any two blanks of wood.

• Members

Spalted maple is used in thin veneers, not carved tops like on a Les Paul.

It's likely that all these thin veneers have the same slightly dampening but otherwise neutral effect on sound.

Oh, you can get a think spalted slab top, carved or not.

• Members

Western big leaf maple versus eastern and hard rock maple will have a bigger effect on tone.

Western maple is sodfter then eastern and hard rock maple and the differences in tone are noticable.

Interestingly enough, Spalted maple is chosen by more leper guitar players then any other type of maple for their guitar tops, probably because it is the closest thing to rotting flesh of all the wood types.

• Members

Western big leaf maple versus eastern and hard rock maple will have a bigger effect on tone.

Western maple is sodfter then eastern and hard rock maple and the differences in tone are noticable.

Interestingly enough, Spalted maple is chosen by more leper guitar players then any other type of maple for their guitar tops, probably because it is the closest thing to rotting flesh of all the wood types.

You talking to me?

3177707552_35f2461933.jpg

• Members

Spalted maple is a softer maple, yes...The grain effect IS REAL, is is decay/molding. Because it is a softer maple, it is a bit warmer/not as bright as flame or most others. I own a usa spalt, and have talked to MANY builders and all have agreed.

• Members

Not all spalted wood is soft and spongy. Spalting is a long process. You can have spalted looking wood that works the same and is structurally the same as clear maple. You can also have spalted wood that falls apart in your hands if you're not careful. Any guitar manufacturer worth anything will be using the former and it won't be any different than clear, birdseye, flamed, or burled maple.

Archived