New Pickups for Firebird Studio

Vanhalen64

• Members

So Ive had a firebird studio for a while and recently ive been thinking about changing the pickups but i have no idea where to start.

I really want that old vintagey Jimmy Page Sound from the neck pup and a Clearer upper medium output sound for the bridge also kinda vintagy. Definetely have to be higher output and more alive than the 490/498 stock combo. what do you guys think?

• Members

I e-mailed Duncan some time ago about their custom order Page pickups. They sent me an email with a brief description of them. I imagine what they are saying was legit but I guess you never know...at any rate they spec'd out the Page neck humbucker as being...........alnico 5 based, 8.2K with 4 conductor wiring. They didn't mention output but it 's something to maybe consider when looking at pups.

The Duncan 59' bridge specs out a bit like those stats...alnico 5 magnet, 8.1k, 4 conductor option.

• Members

So Ive had a firebird studio for a while and recently ive been thinking about changing the pickups but i have no idea where to start.

I really want that old vintagey Jimmy Page Sound from the neck pup and a Clearer upper medium output sound for the bridge also kinda vintagy. Definetely have to be higher output and more alive than the 490/498 stock combo. what do you guys think?

I have a Firebird Studio and love the sound. My vote is leave it stock. :cool:

• Members

Dang, why say "higher output AND more alive"?

How about "less output AND more alive".

I was thinking about that guitar recently and thinking about how nice it would be to buy one and slap the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers I have in my parts drawer into that guitar. That will give you the more "alive" and you could still get the "higher output" with amp gain or a power boost. Just my thoughts.

• Members

This is what he says in this interview.

http://www.suitelorraine.com/suitelorraine/Pages/gplayer76.html

The Gretsch is my country guitar. Stills says his favorite is the one pickup Firebird. "One pickup and two knobs," he describes, "right down to brass tacks. How can you go wrong? And they really put out the beef. I'll do the rest with my fingers.

• Members

DSC05110-1.jpg

DSC03493.jpg

theres the firebird pron. The stock pups are not bad. i was just playing it and i really liked it but i feel theres something missing. needs to be more alive.

Dang, why say "higher output AND more alive"?

How about "less output AND more alive".

I was thinking about that guitar recently and thinking about how nice it would be to buy one and slap the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers I have in my parts drawer into that guitar. That will give you the more "alive" and you could still get the "higher output" with amp gain or a power boost. Just my thoughts.

No idea what the difference between the Seth Lover and the Burstbucker is, can anyone elaborate?

• Members

No idea what the difference between the Seth Lover and the Burstbucker is, can anyone elaborate?

I think they're pretty close,

but remembering that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, and I think this guy does too - but I still have found it to be one of the better reads in reviewing the vintage style PAFs. Enjoy -

http://www.legendarytones.com/vinpicup2.html

• Members

I think they're pretty close,

but remembering that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one, and I think this guy does too - but I still have found it to be one of the better reads in reviewing the vintage style PAFs. Enjoy -

http://www.legendarytones.com/vinpicup2.html

Thanks for the reading. according to what that guy said, and what ive read on the SD website, i think im going to go for a 59 on the neck and an Antiquity on the bridge. :thu:

• Members

hmm, I've had a little bit of bad luck myself with the '59. It's America's number 1 fave after-market pup, but when I stuck it in the neck of my Yamaha SBG700S, it came off as mostly muddy. I'd go for any of the other choices before a '59, but that's just based on having been bitten by one as a child. ;)

I guess I'm a bit leery of Alnico V in the neck if you want more vibe.

• Members

noted! :thu: well, my guitar is very bassy. the firebird is a huge ass chunk of wood so i want something that is a little brighter, especially in the neck. i find i dont even use my neck pickup now. i just put the switch in the middle if im not using the bridge. my bass knob is cranked back to 3 as it is. You think it would conflict if i have a burstbucker 2 in the neck and a SD?

• Members

Personally, I'd go with a Burstbucker 1 in the neck. Gibson uses that on a large number of their Custom Shop guitars. The uneven bobbin windings give that pickup more chime/vibe and kinda 3-D character than you normally don't hear from a basic reissue PAF neck pickup. Sort of like a hint of strat-like overtones.

I have the BB 1 & 2 combo in my Gibson VOS Reissue '59 LP and in my SG Diablo. I'm a fan. I also have a set of Seth Lovers in my drawer I haven't installed yet, but they get great reviews here, and after reading that article some time ago, I've been itching to get some Antiquities as well. In fact that's probably why I haven't installed the Seth Lovers yet, that article made me re-think that maybe I should save the SLs for something else and go with the Antiquities for my intended guitar. It would also match the cosmetics better since the SLs are chrome covered and the Antiquities are aged nickel covered - the the guitar I was going to put the SLs in has nickel hardware - (an '83 Les Paul Custom Shop Edition Studio)

Happy hunt. Pup swapping is always a crap shoot for me as well.

• 3 months later...

Archived