Xaviere XV870+GFS Neovins w/other mods - Post Honeymoon review

symphonictank

• Members

Greetings,

Bought a Xaviere XV870 strat-clone a couple months back with the intention of modding it to become "The" strat without breaking the bank. Turns out it's been a great investment.

XV870 in surf green $169.00

Hardshell Case $39.00

GFS Neovin noiseless Power Rock calibrated set of pups, pre-wired pearloid pickguard, 1 meg alpha pots $170.00

Wilkinson Vintage trem w/pop-in arm $37.95

Stainless steel roller saddles $12.95

Stainless steel roller string trees $5.95

------------------------------------

Total cost: $434.85

The XV870 is a well made guitar, came with a really great neck, super fretwork and the color I wanted. The stock hardware was very functional - when I heard the stock pups I almost had buyers remorse on the Neovins (the stock vintage alnico stagger pickups are GREAT), but figured, "WTH, I can always put those in another strat if/when the time comes." The trem, tuners, pots, etc were all very comparable to a higher-end Squier or standard MIM strat. I didn't bother upgrading the tuners as they don't need changing - they're plenty stable.

If anyone is interested in the sound of the GFS Neovins, I tossed together a clip using a Floyd backing track (Echoes). Here's the lowdown on the clip:

Disclaimer: This is just first-take stuff playing around with my recording setup for the first time since I moved, so don't expect perfection. It will, however, give you a good idea of how the Neovins sound (I couldn't be happier).

Xaviere XV870 + GFS Neovin Power Rock pups

Line 6 Spider II 210 w/shortboard

Behringer MIC200 tube preamp

Behringer CS100 compressor/sustainer

EDIT: Forgot to note...This is all direct-recorded. Line 6 amp stereo headphone output to direct line in on Creative 5.1 sound card. Recorded using Cakewalk Music Creator Pro, but no effects added from the software, everything is direct-out from the signal chain.

Intro = neck, amp on green clean

1st main verse = neck+middle pup, amp on green clean

bridge back = bridge pup, amp on green crunch, mild gain

2nd main verse = middle pup, amp on red clean, lots of echo

bridge back = bridge pup,, green crunch (guitar is doubled here for the chorus effect)

1st solo = neck+middle pup, red clean, lots of delay

2nd solo = middle+bridge pup, green crunch, heavy gain

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=LEOechoes.mp3

And now for pics:

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2902.jpg

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2795.jpg

Any my cheap-@$$ recording setup (functionality is half the battle):

DSCF2916.jpg

This is my #1 guitar at the moment, though the Dean Evo Special Select is a player's player as well (which is why I've had it for 5 years - just put a new roller bridge on it, and damn that was a great upgrade too). I think my $450 was very wisely spent.

Very well played!!! Love the tones and they're noiseless!!

Unless you're getting a great deal on a used guitar, you own a better guitar for the money. I have the rock version which sound somewhere between SC and HB yet more stratty than P90's and I love them.

• Members

Very well played!!! Love the tones and they're noiseless!!

Unless you're getting a great deal on a used guitar, you own a better guitar for the money. I have the rock version which sound somewhere between SC and HB yet more stratty than P90's and I love them.

Yeah, the neck and bridge pups are an enigma to me. They're both so clean, bell-like at times, but drive 'em up a little and damned if aren't very P90 natured. The pups were a great investment for diversity of tones alone - the fact that they also catch a lot of the vintage tone is all gravy...and ponchos...

{censored}

• Members

Man I wish I knew about Xaviere guitars a few years ago (before I bought a bunch of other guitars). All of their guitars look and sound great. Might look into one of their Les Paul types in the future. Nice looking strat. My strat kit I built is seafoam green.

l_aa07387fc82141d686aa8568336def9c.jpg

• Members

Man I wish I knew about Xaviere guitars a few years ago (before I bought a bunch of other guitars). All of their guitars look and sound great. Might look into one of their Les Paul types in the future. Nice looking strat. My strat kit I built is seafoam green.

l_aa07387fc82141d686aa8568336def9c.jpg

I dunno, things look pretty good on your side of the street. Nice axes! :)

• Members

For future reference-

If you're a forumite here and want to put together such a guitar contact me and I can build you one here- save a few bucks-

Jay

Yeah, I found Guitarfetish while I was still slumming on the Dean Guitar forums and did my first order before I was a member here (and before I knew about forumite discounts, etc...).

I'll definitely be back for more stuff, Jay!

• Members

Sweet! Love the look + sound! The latter is especially encouraging because I've got a set of Mega Texas Neovins on the way (had to get in on the {censored} sale, as a matter of principle - sure hope GFS sales went through the roof thanks to Gordon{censored}ingFreeman), putting them in a PRS SE EG; should be an interesting experiment. Great to hear that Jay'll assemble an axe like that, definitely food for thought...

Archived