maximuskatana

Epiphone flame photo tops?

I've never heard that. AFAIK Epi uses veneer tops on most if not all of it's flame top models. Although it's very thin, it is real wood. I believe they use a veneer of figured maple over a larger cap of what i'm assuming is plain maple

Isn't veneer a photo flame?
If it was a flame maple top, no matter the thickness it would just say flame maple top. So the "veneer"  can be painted any which way if its going over plain maple.

Old thread is old!

On 6/17/2020 at 2:30 AM, jjcane said:

Isn't veneer a photo flame?
If it was a flame maple top, no matter the thickness it would just say flame maple top. So the "veneer"  can be painted any which way if its going over plain maple.

No, a photo flame is quite literally a photo. It's a picture of flame maple printed on paper which is glued to the top of the guitar.

Epiphone used and still uses thin flame maple veneers, which are actual thin slices of wood.

Old post I know, but here's an interesting tidbit. While the Epiphone tops are a thin figured maple veneer laminated to a plain maple cap" on the Les Paul models, Samick actually used a photoflame veneer on some of their Avion models. There were multiple Avion models with varying specs, so the further up the model ladder you went, you went from a photoflame top to a flamed maple top.

I remember looking at some lower line Avion models which had beautiful flamed tops, almost too nice for the price. The dealer had two of the same model and finish hanging next to each other and the tops were identical. I remarked that "Trees don't make identical twins do they?" and the dealer said "Nature had nothing to do with those tops, they are photo-engraved." Sure enough, when you held the top to the light, the figure was dead flat and didn't shift with the light like real flamed maple does."

A number of years later there was a glut of odd-colored Samick Avions being blown out on Musicians Friend, Music 123 and eBay with hideous looking flame tops that had taken on an odd green/red hue. Apparently, this was due to some reaction within the photofilm, almost like a photograph that was improperly fixed (chemical reaction neutralized) during processing.

I had the misfortune of attempting to touch up a photoflame top on a King branded Stratocaster that I detailed in a prior post. I had mistaken the photofilm for a maple venner and attempted a tinted lacquer drop fill of a tiny ding that was oddly white in color below the surface. It turned into a crater as the lacquer melted the photofilm away with each successive attempt until it dawned on me that I was working with a photofilm top, hence the white color of the photofilm base.

Edited by 6down1togo