Gretsch G5122, useless?

Shades

• Members

hi.

One of my friends dropped of a very good looking Gretsch G5122 Hollowbody guitar at my place and asked me to take a look at it.

I have ben playing it for a few days now and i really like the the neck and i am a huge sucker for Bigsby! BUT..::! It just can't stay in tune! Every time you bend ANY string a bit high, the G just drops half a note...

And the bigsby is just completly useless, just think about vibrato and it will go out of tune.

Is there any way to save this guitar from being thrown back at the store?

i know it's the bigsby, but is there som kind of a trick ?

Sorry if my english suck.

Simon

• Members

Usually not staying in tune is a problem in the way the strings are wound on the tuners. At least I think so. Make sure you wind them only few times around the pegs and that they hold well. Alternatively try to lubricate the nut with a pencil or something. The nut might be cut too tight. (If this is the case, the guitar should stay in tune with lighter strings)

• Members

It's not useless, might just need some work.

To stay in tune with a bigsby requires three things:

1. The bigsby spring must be in good shape. Over time springs can lose their spring and not have enough tension to pull the strings back up. Since you say it's specifically the G string, I doubt this is the problem.

2. Proper stringing.

3. The nut needs to be cut right and lubricated. This one would be my bet.

• Members

the G5120 and G5122 use the exact same parts. I swapped out the plastic nut for a bone nut and the factory tuners for locking ones. The G512x models are an incredible bargain when it comes to bang for the buck. Maybe try dumping the plastic nut and see if that helps.

• Members

It's not useless, might just need some work.

To stay in tune with a bigsby requires three things:

1. The bigsby spring must be in good shape. Over time springs can lose their spring and not have enough tension to pull the strings back up. Since you say it's specifically the G string, I doubt this is the problem.

2. Proper stringing.

3. The nut needs to be cut right and lubricated. This one would be my bet.

That. particularly #2 & #3.

• Members

Set the guitar up right, and everything should be fine.

Meaning:

- String up the guitar properly

- Make sure the nut is a good one

- Put some graphite or some kinda lube in the nut slots and on the bridge saddles

- Stretch the strings out before you play the guitar.. What I usually do is tune each string to pitch, then grab it at the 12th fret and yank it upwards a bit. It will go out of tune. Tune again, and repeat. Do this until yanking on the string or doing a big bend does not take the string out of tune.

• Members

grease the spring with chapstick

Check all the spots where the string makes contact. Tuners, Nut, Bridge, Bigsby

make sure they're all well lubed. I spent an hour or so tweaking my Bigsby and now it stays in tune no matter what

Archived