Considering modding my Peavey Raptor

Shenaniganizer

• Members

As far as I know, it's a plywood body, but as iffy as I am on it.. I just might mod the hell out of this thing. :cop:

Main reasons: My first guitar, and I like the neck.

Plus I really want to mod a strat-type anyway, and since I'm new at modding (aside from soldering some pickups) I figured it'd be a good platform to work with.

And I know I've posted a thread somewhat similar to this, but this thread is dedicated to the Raptor alone.

Now.. I have a few questions to ask (of course :facepalm:) but first, I'd like to note what I want to mod.

New bridge (either a locking trem [with the nut of course], or a fixed string-thru piece)

If I go with the fixed bridge option, new nut

New tuners

Upgraded electronics (new 5-way switch, pots, jack, maybe some sort of wiring modification to where the volume is master for all pups, one tone is the master tone for the neck and middle single coils, and the other tone is for the bridge humbucker)

New pickups

New pickguard

New paintjob

Neck refret

First, I'm going to swap out the pickups before I do anything else, to test the tonal possibilities, I guess you could say, although I'm really not too worried about the guitar's body wood.

On to my questions..

What parts would you guys recommend? For the locking trem, or even the fixed bridge piece and nut? Tuners?

I was thinking a Gotoh trem and nut, with Gotoh Schaller-style tuners. Any input? (even better, would anyone know if this is a double-locking trem? http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Gotoh_Locking_Tremolos-Gotoh_GE1996T_CK_Gotoh_Floyd_Rose_Tremolo_CB.html )

As for the electronics, what kind of pots/switch/jack would you all recommend? I was thinking some Alphas. Also, would anyone know how to do that mod I noted, for the pots?

I'd ask what kind of pickups you guys would vouch for, but it'd be a bit of a gamble - no clue what the body wood is, or even the neck for that matter. I do know the fretboard is rosewood, however. :wave:

Is there a company I can send my neck to for a refret job? I'm really feelin' some SS jumbo frets.

Or maybe even a forumite around here that could do it? :idea:

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I'm also considering ordering one of the Strat necks from Guitarfetish.com.

Can anyone vouch for those?

Also, by chance, would anyone know how much a refret and re-nut job would cost?
:o

Well cost varies, BUT, a re-fret alone will cost a whole lot more than a $50 gfs neck. If the neck on the guitar is straight and solid, I'd keep it and have work done on it.

• Members

I was planning on getting stainless steel frets in and a graphite nut, and that's all, really.

I don't know what you mean by straight and solid. If you mean a solid slab of wood and isn't twisted or anything like that, then yeah, I think it's solid and it's quite straight.

Also, I really like the feel of the neck, so that's why I was thinking of having some work done on it. But if it'll cost me a load of money, or a price comparable to a custom neck from Warmoth, then I don't know if I'd want to do it. :s

I calculated about $150-$200 after adding up all the parts from guitarfetish (pots, switch, jack, neck, bridge, pickguard, tuners) and I figured that's a pretty good sum of money to put into a plywood cheapie. After adding on new pickups, probably be around another ~$210.

Not too bad.

• Members

Unless you have a buddy that can do all this work for next to nothing, I'd strongly suggest you look for another Peavey with a similar neck profile that has some of the stuff you're wanting to do to this one. The refret with stainless frets will be about $200. To have a a new standard nut (non-locking) cut and fitted will be $40 or $50. A Floyd is $150, to have it routed will probably be another $100. That's $500 right there and I've seen Wolfgangs go for not much more than that.

As far has having a Floyd with either locking tuners or a locking nut, you can use locking tuners, but if you're going to be doing dive bombs with the bar, the locking nut is the only way to go. If you are a subtle to moderate trem user but you just prefer having a Floyd, locking tuners will be fine but at that point, I'd consider getting something like a Wilkinson trem rather than the Floyd.

• Members

Okay, a potentially new plan, then.

How about a $50 guitarfetish neck, one humbucker for the bridge, a pickguard designed for that, one volume and maybe a tone knob, and a route for a Floyd.

What're your opinions on a 21-fret 1HB little shredder? :p

My grandpa may have a router I can use. How, exactly, do I do it?

I'm not too worried about fscking the guitar up, considering I got it for $60.

How much is a template for that, as well?

And how do I get a Floyd nut to fit?

I'm also still considering the fixed-bridge option, too, to save money and whatnot.

• Members

You'll have to have him show you how to use a router. Try practicing on scrap lumber first.

I think for something shreddy, you should be able to do that pretty cheap but again, I got my OLP MM1 for $100 and it was nice and shreddy right out of the box... Or... off the wall.

I sold my last Jackson to a guy and the pickup died. I replaced it with a crunchy PAF from GFS. Well, I'm 95% sure it was a crunchy... might have been a Fat. It's whatever Jay said would be most similar a couple years ago. Fine pickup for the price.

On your Raptor, is it a fairly standard shaped pickguard or one of those avant garde, pointy type pick guards? If it's H/S/S, I'd just leave it as is... Believe it or not, lots of shredders use H/S/S pickguards and guitars.

On the Floyd nut, you get the nut to match your existing nut width then you have to router down the neck so that the low points set at the right height in relation to the first fret. Templates for the Floyd are on the website. This is a really big undertaking. Esp for a do it your-selfer. There are experienced repair guys that don't do it right.

• Members

Reading through this thread again... I see Raptors all the time for under $100. Does your guitar NEED a refret because of fret damage or do you just want SS frets? If the frets aren't damaged, just swap pickups, block the trem, maybe replace the saddles, nut and pots and play the damn thing!

If the frets are damaged, buy another Raptor and sell this one on craigslist.

• Members

I wanted the SS frets for the long-lasting/durable fret option.

But, then I found out from this thread that it would cost too much.

So I may just stick to this neck, aside from the alternative of getting a guitarfetish neck. Definitely need to clean the fretboard..

Should I redress the frets? (I honestly don't know what this means, that's why I'm asking.)

I don't have a single-pickup guitar, and I do want one, so I want the Peavey to be that. So far, on guitarfetish.com, I've got a mirrored pickguard routed for one HB, one 500K push-pull pot, a fixed Strat-style hardtail bridge, and Wilkinson EZ-LOK tuners.

I'm still trying to decide on what pickup to put. I really want a versatile pup, that sounds good in both HB and SC mode. Something that can handle metal and everything else an HB is good for, but in split mode, can pull off some sweet and smooth tones. Not looking for one that can master every genre of music I try to dabble in, but one that can handle it.

I really don't use the trem that it has, it's one of those Strat-like trems. If I did get a new one, though, and then block it.. what would that do, as far as tone, compared to the hardtail fixed bridge?

• Members

Do you have a reason to think it's not maple?

LOTS of maple necks out there. Pretty cheap, very durable. There are $80 guitars with maple necks and $10,000 guitars with maple necks. Every Peavey I've ever owned had a maple neck though I've never owner a Raptor.

• Members

Ohhh, I didn't know they were so popular, twas why I axksed'd.

Now, a question for the opinions: I'm very inclined to running one single humbucker at the bridge.

But, WHAT?

I was thinking of the DiM X2N for teh br00talz, but I want something a little more versatile, so I'm not confined to one genre (as in, only sounding great when playing certain things, but sounding like {censored} when playing stuff like.. blues, or something.)

Any opinions on what other pickup I could get?

And, just to be sure, if I got a hardtail fixed bridge piece, I'd need standard-spaced pickups, right? Not F?

• Members

I feel like I'm the only one trying to answer your questions.

If you don't want to use the trem, I'd just put 5 springs in it and block it. I'd replace the saddles with the stamped and folded Fender type saddles. I wouldn't switch from a trem to a hard tail as I just don't think you'll see any change other than a headache.

As for the pickup, without knowing if you are going more for rhythm or lead, I'd split the difference. I'd get something like a Dimarzio Evo. Lots of nice crunch, does the soaring lead thing VERY well, doesn't get muddy, cleans up pretty nicely.

Archived