Tell me about Michael Kelly guitars

JaGi

• Members

Well its a vex deluxe with emg's its like $620 to you guys, mahogany body and neck, grover tuners, tone pro bridge, 25 1/2 scale and abalone inlay. It sounds really good i just want to know how well made they are? They must cut a corner somewhere to undercut even schecter.

• Members

I know nothing about the Vex models, BUT I have 2 Patriots and my Gibson stays in it's case since I got my Patriot Black.

As stated above, great fret work and hardware. I've had no electronics problems and the Rockfield pups are amazing.

If you get the one with EMG's you should be golden too.

Friend of mine owns a music shop. He's a Schecter dealer and after looking over my Patriot, he got the MK dealership too. He's not going to carry the Hex or Vex though since they look so much like the Schecters. He's keeping Patriots, hollows, and their acoustics.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with them.

• Members

Ive got a MK Hybrid and can testify its build quality is that of a guitar costing much, much more. I seem to recall the name "Michael Kelly" being the first names of the two sons of the companies founder and that the brand name was created to distinguish itself from BC Rich style guitars therefore appealing to those outside that box.

There seem to e some sweet deals at the moment on MK guitars so jump on one if you get the chance.

• Members

"I just want to be totally assured they are of a good standard before i buy because i am a bit of a brand snob sometimes. I will probably use it for downtuning i just want it to be a solid good quality guitar."

Get it,you'll love it and be amazed,and will be gassing to grab up the rest of their models.

As to the quality,I have zero complaints of any of mine. Have held up better under hard use over the last nearly 3 yrs than almost any other guitar I've had.

Best bang for the buck out there,quality to price-wise.They look good,feel great,and sound even better. And at thier price point,if you are so picky there's one thing or other you dont much like,it's a good base point to upgrade parts from.:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

I liked the Patriot Vintage pupa, and of course there higher end use aftermarket. There nice guitars. But like with all electrics built in Korea or out of the country. You have to pick a Winner. All might not be perfect. 1or 2 out of 10 might be dead right. Theothers? well you know the drill

But they are much better pups than say Epi SG+LP, or Ibanez ACH series?

• Members

I've got 2 hourglass models and I am very pleased with them!

Great fit, great finish on both. Alico 5 pickups.

I've only had one problem with one of them and it was the pull/push switch and it was an easy fix.

I bought both at a couple of flea markets in the area and the natural finished one, with the switch problem was the one that had been abused the most.

Considering both guitars were older than 5 years, and the natural one was played by everybody and his brother, that says a lot in my book. :thu:

[ATTACH]274474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]274475[/ATTACH]

• Members

I have a Patriot Custom. Great guitar, no mods needed.

IMG_7817.jpg

WOW!! My bad for bumping a slightly old thread, but this guitar is gorgeous! I'm looking to grab a nice Michael Kelly since Music123 has the 15% off deal going on right now and this one isn't helping my gas. I'm looking at the Hex Patriot with EMG's. So heres a bump for more reviews on Michael Kelly guitars, I want to know how they compare to similarly priced guitars.

• Members

I've played several Valors and Patriots and they were all great, phenomenal for the price.

The only reason I don't have one is I have too many similarly built guitars.

If I ever find one for a real deal, I might pick it up anyway.

Honestly I think the MK's are way better than anything in that price range.

• Members

They suffer from OA (over abalone - second cousin to OG), but they're well-made guitars with good finishes, nice pickups. I'd say that the finishes are nicer than the LTD series, but the LTDs with real Duncans are certainly superior in the electronics dept. That said, MK's stock pickups are probably my favorite non-aftermarket pickups of guitars in this price range.

• Members

^Yeah. The inlays are a bit much on some...like mine...

I love my Patriot Phoenix.

When I was shopping for this one, I was comparing to various Schecters, an ESP LTD single cut with EMGs, PRS SE's, lower end Parkers, and mostly a plethora of Les Pauls (Epis, etc) and anything similar in size/shape.

I don't regret my decision. I played a couple guitars I like as much or a little more, but they were all at least twice the price. I got my Patriot on clearance for way less than it's available for online. :thu:

Plus, Michael Kellys seem to be unique guitars as it is, and almost every Phoenix I've ever seen or been able to find a picture of on the net has been red, so it's unlikely that I'll ever run into someone with the same one.

P2162209.jpg

• Members

I have a Patriot Custom. Great guitars.

if you read the specs on them they have some great materials. Workmanship

is very comprable to higher priced guitars.

I actually sold an ESP Eclipse after I got the MK as it fit my sinlge cut needs.

Yep I got rid of a real MIJ Eclipse because the Mk played better.

OK The Eclipse was one of the bolt-on version but still. Great guitars.

Hey Music123 has them at 15% off.

Also a company called The Perfect base has them as well and they will pricematch anyone's sale. They are great to deal with. A smaller dealer with good staff and no attitude.

Here's some MK links from them. Looks like TPG is out of Customs but they'll order what ya want and still pricematch.

Patriots:

http://www.theperfectguitar.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=109&SN=116&CT=101&PG=101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001809&U=1&SS=1&CR=N&modify=0

Vexes:

http://www.theperfectguitar.com/explore.cfm?STORE=Y&N=109&SN=271&CT=101&PG=101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001809&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y&modify=0

Archived