Two string trees on a strat

Cymro#1

• Members

Mine is a mid 90s (96 I think standard MIA but for some reason I see very few with two string trees. Was this a one off by Fender at this date. So why don't
all
strats have two trees?

I think the MIA usually come with two strings trees. But in reality the second string tree on the G and D string is pretty useless. It doesn't really make a difference when holding down the strings and it just causes tunning issues at times. You need the first tree on the high E string.

• Members

I think they got rid of one of the string trees on the mexistrats when they upgraded the model a couple years ago.

It doesn't really make any difference. I prefer two just for the asthetics...the difference in string angles just looks weird to me with one.

• Members

Just a side-note: Graph Tech now has a pair of string trees for sale where one has a post much shorter than the other. They have a reputation for being slippery, solving problems, and they match a lot of nuts anyway.. and putting the shorter-post tree in the position furthest from the nut results in MUCH more consistent angles over the nut than the factory setups.

I have a single old square graphtech or divebomb string retainer on a squier strat. I plugged the bridge holes and installed an american 70s fender trem (the block and base are all one piece). That trem stays in tune better than any other guitar I have. When I bought it, it had 2 string trees. I think that the graphite retainer is ugly but it works great.

• Members

Whenever I buy a guitar that only has one tree, I put another one on it. Why? I can't stand the G string ringing behind the nut after I've muted it. I don't whammy on non-locking guitars, so that's not an issue for me. I just need the strings to stay in the nut slots and not ring after their muted. Two trees solves that problem for me.

• Members

Yeah, but...

Somehow the Eric Johnson sig Strat has staggered (vintage-style) tuners, ZERO string trees, and reportedly (haven't played one myself) great tone.

And that is exactly why I sold mine.. I got sick of the G string ringing behind the nut.. really annoying..

• Members

Yeah, but...

Somehow the Eric Johnson sig Strat has staggered (vintage-style) tuners, ZERO string trees, and reportedly (haven't played one myself) great tone.

I've read a LOT, and I'm still not sure how they do it. I've played with a couple of necks, and a couple of different sets of staggered tuners (search "pasta"), and some of the string angles over the nut end up looking pretty shallow. Depending on the tuners, not always the strings you think would. Various folks who have tried it have ended up resorting to at least one string tree in the end, saying they've lost tone on some strings.

It's a bit of a problem, because while you don't have to commit to using string trees or not until the guitar is built and you get to play it, you do sort of commit to a set of tuners... and there's little point in staggered tuners if you're going to use string trees anyway.

Just a side-note: Graph Tech now has a pair of string trees for sale where one has a post much shorter than the other. They have a reputation for being slippery, solving problems, and they match a lot of nuts anyway.. and putting the shorter-post tree in the position furthest from the nut results in MUCH more consistent angles over the nut than the factory setups.

The headstock on the EJ is different. I forget if it's tilted back, or if the deck is thinner. I have a Yamaha Pacifica 904 with the tilt-back Warmouth neck, works great with the Sperzels.

• Members

I guess this is beyond my experience. You mean the portion of the G string between the nut and tuner post vibrates in some harmonic with the string, still vibrates after the string is muted... and you can somehow hear that, even though it must be, what? three inches long, so some pretty damn high pitch, and there are no pickups up there? Missing something.

That is exactly right.. very high pitch.. very annoying. And with no pickup, the only person it annoys is you! Like having an old LP bridge that has rattles.. doesn't come across the amp, just pisses you off when you hear it..

Archived