In Concert: Judy Garland and the Utah Symphony

Mr. Botch

• Members

Notice I didn't say "Live"...

What they're doing is a concert of Judy Garland clips, her singing, on a screen above the stage. On the stage, the Utah Symphony will "play along".

Kind of a different twist on "backing tracks"; I don't ... quite ... know what to think about it. If nothing else, that's one less show for a young, struggling, alive singer to do. I'll probably be passing this one over...

• Members

Not too much different from overdubbing Nat Cole's singing on a re-recorded verson of 'Unforgettable', is it?

I don't agree with the concept, myself. I believe an artist should have the ability to determine what happens to their voice, image or works. Once that person no longer has that voice (after attaining room temperature), their works shouldn't be able to be appropriated.

Of course, that's just a personal opinion. In the real world, the artist is usually no longer the owner of the art, and the present owner of the rights to the art in question can do whatever they desire.

I agree with you, however, but maybe for a different reason: what happened to the ]original band that was backing up Judy? I don't agree with stripping their part out completely, which is how it sounds from your post.

I wish I could have seen Garland in her heyday, or Sinatra or Nat Cole or Ellington or Basie or Armstrong in their best years. I was fortunate enough to see Ella, Toots and several others during their lifetimes, but it was later in their careers and later in their lives. If the desire to see Garland with the immediacy of a live orchestra puts you in the same mindset as seeing her live in her heyday, then this sounds like the show for you.

I don't quite know what to think of this either. I would have to think long and hard about going.

• Moderators

I think it's great. Judy was so over the top and dynamic that a live symphony playing along might be really cool. Is there much of a gay community in Utah? Somehow I wouldn't think so but...

I'm trying hard to see how there's any connection with Utah and Garland. Regardless, I think it would be cool.

• Members

I believe that's exactly what they'd do.

I don't think so. I believe they play "live" to the recording, the same way John Williams has conducted scores to film w/o clicktrack.

If the conductor relinquished control to a click, and something went wrong, they'd be lost. This way, the conductor is always the interloper.

• Moderators

I don't think so. I believe they play "live" to the recording, the same way John Williams has conducted scores to film w/o clicktrack.

If the conductor relinquished control to a click, and something went wrong, they'd be lost. This way, the conductor is always the interloper.

I think they run the generated click to the conductor. Only he hears it. The orchestra follows the conductor who follows the click that follows the original performance that swallowed the fly...

• Members

I think it's great. Judy was so over the top and dynamic that a live symphony playing along might be really cool. Is there much of a gay community in Utah? Somehow I wouldn't think so but...

Indeed, Utah is a state where queers still get lynched.

Witness the recent case of the redneck who shot and killed a gay man... in what was a patently unambiguous hate crime...

...only to be exonerated by a jury of his peers who came back with the verdict of: NOT GUILTY, 'CAUSE WE'D'VE DONE THE SAME THING, TOO.

:idk:

• Members

I think they run the generated click to the conductor. Only he hears it. The orchestra follows the conductor who follows the click that follows the original performance that swallowed the fly...

I don't think that's how they'll do it. Conducting to a click is just a different scene.

Keith Lockhart, the conductor, is going to be very familiar with the recordings, so he knows what to expect. But more than that, he'll respond to the prerecorded cues as if he's accompanying a traditional live soloist. As far as he's concerned, following a singer, dead or alive, and getting the orchestra to follow him following the singer, is his comfort zone. A click wouldn't be necessary, and likely distracting.

He's also particularly adept at getting an orchestra to "sync" to a source, whether it's a singer (he's done a million of them), a rock band (which he's done in Boston) or a film (audience watches film w/ live orchestral accompaniment), all w/o a click. I could be wrong, but I'd be VERY surprised if he used a click.

• Moderators

I don't think that's how they'll do it. Conducting to a click is just a different scene.

Keith Lockhart, the conductor, is going to be very familiar with the recordings, so he knows what to expect. But more than that, he'll respond to the prerecorded cues as if he's accompanying a traditional live soloist. As far as he's concerned, following a singer, dead or alive, and getting the orchestra to follow him following the singer, is his comfort zone. A click wouldn't be necessary, and likely distracting.

He's also particularly adept at getting an orchestra to "sync" to a source, whether it's a singer (he's done a million of them), a rock band (which he's done in Boston) or a film (audience watches film w/ live orchestral accompaniment), all w/o a click. I could be wrong, but I'd be VERY surprised if he used a click.

Yeah, I see. That makes sense. :thu:

• Members

A great skill to have here, inasmuch as Judy's arrangements were always filed with big rubati elements...

Where (or how) is he getting tracks of Judy singing sans accompaniment? She has no extant recordings made after 1967 or so...

• Members

Another viariation of this was a show I took in a while back.

Randy newman conducted the Rochester Philharmonic orchestra as they played excerpts from a few movie soundtracks that newman had composed. While the orchestra played live the movie sequences were projected on a full sized cinema screen behind the orchestra.

It was wierd but entertaining.

They did screw up on one of the the intros and ended up out of sync- had to restart.

• Members

Where (or how) is he getting tracks of Judy singing sans accompaniment? She has no extant recordings made after 1967 or so...

There used to be, in the back of Keyboard magazine, a device that you could order that magically removed the lead vocals, so that you could make your own karaoke tracks!

If you reverse the polarity of the gizzmatron, and cut off the grounding plug of your tape deck, er, sorry, CD recorder, it magically removes the orchestra instead! :D

And now can I borrow $700 billion to make your economy better? :p:rolleyes::facepalm:

Archived