Can I use an extra guitar amp as a powered monitor?

Barry Wuthrich

• Members

I just traded a guy one of my strats for his PA. I got Behringer 8 channel 800Watt PA with two Peavey 15 inch 2 way mains on stands and a couple of mikes. My first PA.

No monitors though.

Can I use one of my extra Mesa nomad 45's as a powered monitor, by sending a signal from 'monitor out' to my effects return, and bypass the pre-amp? It is a parallel effects loop with a pot on the return jack that determines wet/dry mix. I can set it on 100% FX.

The only other option would be to come in the pre-amp input where I would otherwise plup in my guitar, and set it up for super clean on channel one with no gain.

If either one of these will work without damaging anything, this would give me a 45 watt monitor with 2 celestion V30's, without me spending any more money.

Please tell me if this will/won't work until I can afford a powered monitor.

Thanks,

Barry

• Members

It'll be very midrangey and dull sounding.

Exactly!!! Guitar amps are not voiced to be full spectrum...they are voiced to the particular frequencies that the guitar lives in...bass amp would be a better "monitor substitue",especially if it involves keyboards...

• Members

It'll be very midrangey and dull sounding.

Gotcha. I guess I am not going to be content with that, so if we can change directions here in mid-stream......Someone recommend a good sounding powered monitor and what it costs.

I would be a one-man show playing lead and singing to a backing track on this system. I am guessing I could probably hear the mains pretty good without a monitor, but maybe not.

• Members

I'm pretty unconventional: I use a crate TX-30 taxi amp as a monitor on those (rare) occasions when I've needed one, and it worked great. It is normally my acoustic/pa for small venues/outside, but I found that made a pretty dandy monitor as well - and it is in a tilt-back configuration so it's perfectly shaped for the task as well.

• Members

I'm pretty unconventional: I use a crate TX-30 taxi amp as a monitor on those (rare) occasions when I've needed one, and it worked great. It is normally my acoustic/pa for small venues/outside, but I found that made a pretty dandy monitor as well - and it is in a tilt-back configuration so it's perfectly shaped for the task as well.

I have a Roland JC55 that is super clean I bought for acoustic/electric work. It has 2 8's in it and it weighs about 1/3 as much as the Mesa. I may try it if I my nephew will let me borrow back from him. I loaned it to him when he got his first guitar this Christmas.

Archived