Summer NAMM 2016 Official Show Report Thread

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31753697[/ATTACH]

Summer NAMM 2016 is coming hot on the heels of Sweetwater's GearFest 2016. And we do mean hot, even though the show is about a month earlier than usual (and next year, it goes back to a mid-July date). Temperatures have been in the high-90s, with a heat index at 100 or above.

If you haven't seen it already, please visit HC's member Bieke's famous Summer NAMM Rumors and Whatnot thread! Bieke is the master of virtual show coverage. We all assume his feet feel at a lot better at the end of the day than ours...

In anticipation of the show, please let us know if there are things you'd like to see covered and also if you plan to be at the show. Finally, we're happy to announce the Brigitte Laskowski, wife of our very own community stalwart Dan Laskowski, has been "deputized" to assist with show coverage. She's a great photographer and her photos will be adding a lot to our report...thanks, Brigitte!

Check back here for the Summer NAMM 2016 official Show Report.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NAMM Activities officially kicked off on Tuesday night around town. Many manufacturers opt out of displaying at the show and rather have an off-site event. I was invited to the Sakae Drums event on Tuesday, held at SoundCheck.

Soundcheck is very much like a large scale S.I.R. however, the rooms in much of the facility are larger, so many acts hold rehearsals there with full back line directly before departing on tours. Nashville is lucky to still have SoundCheck as in the great flood of 2010, the entire place was underwater, and may great collections of instruments stored there were lost.

Check them out:

http://soundchecknashville.com

As for the Sakae event - There was a huge turn out and LOTS of drumming. Not an event for the non-drummer as one's ears can grow weary! :) I saw studio great, Eddie Bayers, Shawn Londin (Nashville - Larry Londin's Son), Trey Grey (Drummer for Brooks & Dunn), Brad Paisley's drummer, Ben Cesar, and many, many more. It was a who's who of Nashville drummers.

I wrote a review of Sakae Drums a few months back, and many don't realize that they were the makers of Yamaha's drums for over 30 plus years.

This little kit was one of the highlights of the event. The bass drum sounded HUGE!

Everyone would play it, love it, get up and move away, and then turn around and comeback to sit and play again.

fetch?filedataid=118512

A cool throw-back kit for throw-back thursday! ;)

fetch?filedataid=118513

fetch?filedataid=118514

Shown is nashville drummer Lee Kelley (blue shirt), Shawn Londin, and I'm afraid I don't know the drummer jamming behind the kit.

fetch?filedataid=118515

The great thing about some of these off-site events is that it gives you a chance to play and hear the drums without worry of the db police, but more importantly, it provides an intimate setting for getting to know all the people who are hanging at the event.

Great props to Bobby Boos who pulled this event together.

D

• Members

Wednesday night saw another off-site event at SoundCheck held by D'Addario. The event featured great Jack's Barbecue and suds. The event was packed with attendees.

They had live music as well. Announcements were made regarding all new releases for the show and then it was simply a fun hang -

fetch?filedataid=118519

fetch?filedataid=118520

THIS is the fun that Nashville brings to the NAMM event.

• Members

So, I caught some flack for not posting pictures of the inside of the bus in the Sweetwater GearFest report from last week. Last night on the way home, the Gibson bus was parked not far from my house while some folks were in a nearby food establishment being wined and dined.

I could see the bus driver, Don inside at the table, so I stopped and he let me on to take photos.

I love that NAMM comes here, and love that I can find this sort of great thing just blocks from my home.

Here are the inside pics of the bus (one of 8 or more they own) -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31759932[/ATTACH]

Note banjo light over the driver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31759933[/ATTACH]

Bunks of course -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31759934[/ATTACH]

Rear Lounge - note three Slingerland drums for lights -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31759935[/ATTACH]

Micro-Studio on board

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31759936[/ATTACH]

Continued below

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31760675[/ATTACH]

The ControllerHub 8 from Amerlia's Compass is the central hub for a modular foot control setup. You can connect any combination of up to eight expression pedals and footswitches, and convert the pedal movements and button presses into MIDI message streams over USB and MIDI cables.

• Members

Sensel's morph controller and templates. The controller itself has something like 20,000 touch points, and you can do 3D printing of templates that go on top to send out MIDI control to trigger drums, piano notes, Scenes in Ableton Live, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31762020[/ATTACH]

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31760728[/ATTACH]

Neuman keyboard from Yudo - wireless keyboard, touch screen. But what got me to take notice was the 42 x 16 x 7.5 inch touch screen. The company's aim is to produce a UI without knobs or sliders, and they say this can even emulate the user interface look of particular vintage synths. It's very much a prototype; the company expects to start taking orders a year from now.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31760735[/ATTACH]

Gig Gear's Gig Gloves are designed to protect your hands when you're moving gear around. I gotta say this really impressed me - the dude is like "the glove whisperer." He's thought out what musicians need in a glove for handling gear to a pretty amazing degree of detail. When people asked me what was new and different at the show, this was often what came to mind first. Gig Gear also debuted their Onyx line, which is all black so crew members wearing them can be as invisible as possible - no colored logos need to be "Sharpied out."

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31760741[/ATTACH]

Gaffgun gathers/funnels your cables, and lays down gaffer's tape. Probably the best thing about it is you just push it in front of you while standing, sort of like a push broom - so it lays down tape really fast and you don't have to bend down.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31760745[/ATTACH]

Antelope's Zen Tour is a new, smaller interface. It does Thunderbolt as well as USB 2. Why not SUB 3? Apparently Antelope has developed their own chip set for USB 2 that improves efficiency for audio streaming.

fetch?filedataid=118701

The Goliath definitely-not-compact interface is also relatively new, and also does Thunderbolt and USB 2.

fetch?filedataid=118702

The interfaces also come with several plug-ins. The concept is similar to how Universal Audio includes plug-ins with their Apollo interfaces, although the implementation is different.

Archived